• Breaking News

    Wednesday, July 22, 2020

    iPad Weekly r/iPad Discussion and Tech-Support Thread - 07/22

    iPad Weekly r/iPad Discussion and Tech-Support Thread - 07/22


    Weekly r/iPad Discussion and Tech-Support Thread - 07/22

    Posted: 22 Jul 2020 09:37 AM PDT

    Welcome to r/iPad' Discussion and Tech-Support Thread!

    Discuss here anything that's iPad related. You can suggest or ask about iPad apps, accessories, post about your iPad art, tips & tricks etc.

    Get help regarding any issues you might be having with your iPad, with your applications, your accessories, physical and software problems, etc. Fellow redditors and members of the mod team will do their best to assit you.

    You may want to consider looking for similar questions to the one you're about to ask, in previous D&TS threads listed below, or with the search bar, as chances are someone was in the same situation as you before.


    Later on, please consider giving back by answering other people's questions when you can!

    Click here to see past D&TS threads.
    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Weekly 'What should I buy?' Thread - 07/22

    Posted: 22 Jul 2020 09:37 AM PDT

    Welcome to r/iPad's 'What Should I Buy?' Thread!


    Are you wondering which iPad is best for you? Are you hesitating between the 12.9" versus the 11"? Which keyboard should you get or what is the best screen protector out there? This is the place to ask. Fellow redditors and members of the mod team will do their best to assist you.

    You may want to consider looking for similar questions to the one you're about to ask, in previous WSIB threads listed below, or with the search bar, as chances are someone was in the same situation as you before.


    Later on, please consider giving back by answering other people's questions when you can!

    Click here to see past WSIB threads.
    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Finally here on IOS 14 Beta, 4K Youtube!

    Posted: 22 Jul 2020 09:36 AM PDT

    After a month, I can attest that the iPad Pro with magic keyboard is not suitable for research and writing purposes.

    Posted: 21 Jul 2020 06:43 PM PDT

    So, I am a lawyer and decided to get the 12.9 iPad Pro with the magic keyboard and the pencil. It is beautiful piece of machinery and the build quality is amazing. Perfect for media consumption, reading and document annotation. It flops with the type of work I do, though.

    My idea was never to substitute my MacBook Pro with the iPad - I just wanted an essentially reading device that I may use occasionally to do some work on the go when the MacBook is not with me. I had put the bar pretty low as to my use case but the iPad still failed.

    As to my use case: even for the most trivial of tasks, I usually need to have a couple of documents opened (a word file, an email window, a pdf or two and a webpage or two). This is just the essence of my work - research, writing and cross referencing is vital even for a short email to a client. I also get a lot of documents and I need to be able to download them quickly to review before giving an opinion.

    As this is a must for my work, I also bought MS Office 365 - word and outlook being my most important apps.

    So, my experience with using the iPad occasionally for work has been quite abysmal. Here is a list of the inconveniences that make using the iPad for my line of work a little torture of discomfort:

    (1) Toggling between windows is clunky and uncomfortable. When you toggle, for example, from MS Word to a pdf file, the Word file gets (kind of) closed, so when you toggle back to the Word file, the system goes through the entire process of loading it as if it were a newly opened document. So, every time you toggle between the documents, you need to wait for the word file to load. It loads to the first page of the document and you need to find where you had left off (usually manually), which can be super uncomfortable if you need to do it 10 times just to write an average email. The same issue sometimes (and sometimes not) happens to browser tabs.

    (2) There is no "format painter" in any of Microsoft's software. This is an essential feature for me, as it makes documents look normal. They have substituted format painter with the much more uncomfortable "paste formatting" option, which, however, does not work consistently (the paste formatting option appears about 50% of the time at random, which also makes the work clunky, uncomfortable and very very slow).

    (3) In split window mode, one of the documents sometimes becomes unresponsive out of the blue and you can fix it only by going out of split screen mode. Again, very uncomfortable when you need to cross-reference documents quickly on the go.

    (4) There is no "create new file" option in the file management system - why?? I cannot fathom.

    (5) I need to download a lot of documents from the internet (think like Company incorporation documents) and organise them into folders. In macbook and in Windows, you can make the browser ask you where to download each file. This is very important to me, as every downloaded file needs to go to the folder of the specific client. No dice on the iPad, though - I cannot make safari to ask me where to download a new document - it always automatically goes to a default download folder. Which I then need to find and then I need to transfer the document to the relevant folder. It doesn't sound much but when you need to do it ten times in the span of 15 minutes, it starts to get annoying.

    (6) On the topic of downloads, default download folder is on the iCloud. There is not technical or convenience reason for this. Is it a marketing trick, so that Apple can sell you more storage? You decide. I changed it pretty quickly but it was still annoying to think about it.

    (7) This was probably the worst way a computer program has ever malfunctioned on me. It absolutely made me realise that the iPad is not good for office work. I was working on a document in word for the better part of an hour. A lot of important revisions and a lot of painstaking formatting (which is incredibly important in my line of work). Then I try to save the file. No dice - I get an error message. Turns out it is impossible to save the file to the iPad or to iCloud due to an unexplainable malfunctioning of Word. Ok, no place to panic, I can export the file to some other app (like Mail, Outlook or something). Again no - the Word app is broken and refuses to export (another error message appears). Keep in mind, I am doing this on the go and there is a client waiting on the other side for an urgent document and the iPad (or the MS Word app) does not allow me to save or send my work. So, because of the iPad's bugs, I had to swallow my pride and call the client to tell them I will not be able to deliver as promised due to technical problems. Pretty embarrassing. To solve the issue, I copy-pasted the text to an email and sent it to myself. Then travelled back to my office, to the macbook, and pasted the text from the email back to Word. All the elaborate formatting was gone and I had to do it all over again. The final tally - three hours wasted and an unhappy client.

    (8) When writing in outlook, the cursour randomly deselects the writing area and stops typing. I need to tap the writing area in order to continue typing. It is like, you are typing in one moment and then the letters you write stop appearing on the screen. This doesn't sound much but it can be very distracting, as it may happen every 10-15 seconds - which is quite a lot in a 10-minute writing session.

    Conclusion: very little in that device is suitable for actual productive work requiring text editing and research. It is good for media consumption and pdf annotation, period. Everything that requires a modicum of complexity is just painful. I do not recommend anyone to buy this device for professional work that entails document processing.

    I know that many of you will think that this is MS Word's fault but this is beside the point. Does the iPad support usable versions of the software I use for work? The answer is NO and a potential buyer does not need to care much as to whose fault it is. Also, many of the annoying things are directly related to the operating system which is worse than Windows 95 in terms of operability.

    submitted by /u/Chihuahuagoes2
    [link] [comments]

    iPad Pro 12.9" 2020 back case compatible with Magic Keyboard that's not CoverBuddy

    Posted: 22 Jul 2020 05:47 AM PDT

    So whilst waiting for my CoverBuddy which will take 2-3 weeks at least, I don't want to go without protection for a new 12.9" 2020 IPP. What I'm looking for however is a back case or a regular flap case, with detachable flap because I would like to hook it up to the Magic Keyboard instead of having to take it out every time.

    Are there any rubber/silicon back cases that work with the Magic Keyboard? Do the magnets even work through the rubber? Seems like the rubber/silicon solution is the thinnest than having a cover case with a flap, but so far I haven't found any cover case that has a detachable flap...

    So really unsure what to get for protection that will work with my Magic keyboard?

    submitted by /u/0maeWaM0uShindeiru
    [link] [comments]

    Apple Pencil 2 Stylus Cap

    Posted: 22 Jul 2020 12:43 PM PDT

    I've been searching for a cap that fits on that back of the Apple Pencil 2, which acts like a stylus. There's many behaviors (ie swipe up) that the pencil alone can't do. Instead of using my oily finger, I'd love to just flip the pencil. There's a ton of options for the Apple Pencil 1, as it has a cap in its design, but with the solid body of the 2, there doesn't seem to be a solution. Has anyone found one?

    submitted by /u/the_ua
    [link] [comments]

    Using google slides on ipad?

    Posted: 22 Jul 2020 09:05 AM PDT

    Can I scribble on google slides using ipad? I plan on buying one, and I was wondering if I can use the Apple Pen to write down things in google slides?

    submitted by /u/JackyLmfao
    [link] [comments]

    Apple releases iPadOS 14 and iOS 14 beta 3 to developers.

    Posted: 22 Jul 2020 12:00 PM PDT

    Anyone know the technology behind handwriting recognition of apple?

    Posted: 22 Jul 2020 09:47 AM PDT

    Which technology are they using? did apple invent it? or they have bought a startup?

    submitted by /u/Kangaroo-Radiant
    [link] [comments]

    Zoom meetings and workouts

    Posted: 22 Jul 2020 07:54 AM PDT

    I've been doing most of my Zoom meetings and workout on either the iPad Pro or the little first gen iPad. For either of them, is there a way to control the meeting settings through another device(either the other iPad or my iPhone)? I'm looking for an alternative to moving forward and shoving my face/neck/chest into the camera as I toggle the camera or microphone.

    submitted by /u/goldfishintheyard
    [link] [comments]

    Apps not showing up in search results

    Posted: 22 Jul 2020 05:47 AM PDT

    Hello, Unless an app is on my front page I find it by swiping down and searching. That's my workflow. However certain apps don't show up in the seraph, such as calendar and outlook. Any idea how to fix that? In the example of outlook, it is defiantly installed. And there is an icon one of my pages, but it doesn't show up in search results.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/WTFOMGBBQ
    [link] [comments]

    Battery life on iPadOS 13.6?

    Posted: 22 Jul 2020 07:29 AM PDT

    I have a 10.5 iPad Pro (2018), I'm currently on 13.3.1 and I've been reluctant on upgrading beyond it since I've read that battery life was quite poor on 13.5 and prior to it, plus I did notice a lesser battery life ever since I moved from iPadOS 12 to 13. How's your experience so far with this version? have you seen any improvement on your device or similar to mine?

    Edit: 2017 iPad Pro Refurbished, got it on December of last year.

    submitted by /u/dlusionalx
    [link] [comments]

    IntelliJ programming on iPad through remote desktop/stream doable?

    Posted: 22 Jul 2020 07:21 AM PDT

    Anyone tried this? Is it acceptable? I really want to continue my Java programming on the iPad Pro but I really love IntelliJ on my Mac, so thought maybe it's a better experience to stream/remote desktop to my Mac and work on the iPad instead of doing remote SSH/Command line with an iPad app's text editor?

    submitted by /u/0maeWaM0uShindeiru
    [link] [comments]

    Any chance of the front-facing camera moving to the long edge of the iPad?

    Posted: 21 Jul 2020 04:22 PM PDT

    If you've used an ipad in landscape (wide) orientation -- which is how pretty much all cases and keyboards orient the iPad -- you know that, to the people you are talking to, it looks like you are looking off to the side. That's because the camera is on the edge, not above the center of the screen like on a laptop.

    Anybody think they'll fix this in the next generation? It sort of feels, to me, like one of those glaring problems that apple ignores forever, but I'm open to being more optimistic.

    submitted by /u/otter6461a
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for an App Similar to the macOS Preview App

    Posted: 21 Jul 2020 06:53 PM PDT

    Hello, I really like to use the preview app on macOS and I wanted to know if there was an app similar for the iPad? The things I like to use the Preview software for is marking up PDFs and using the color dropper for markups. If you know of an app that can do this, please let me know! Thanks,

    submitted by /u/feral_catman
    [link] [comments]

    Mouse pointer hover causes notifications screen to open, how to disable that?

    Posted: 21 Jul 2020 05:47 PM PDT

    I'm using an external mouse and keyboard with my iPad Pro and one thing that I noticed is, sometimes when a mouse pointer is hovered at the top edge of the screen it causes the "notifications overlay" to open. Similar to when you do a swipe down gesture from the top of the screen. Can this behavior be disabled somehow?

    submitted by /u/Wild_Legume
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel