• Breaking News

    Thursday, July 2, 2020

    Apple Macbook The Macbook Purchasing Megathread - July 2020

    Apple Macbook The Macbook Purchasing Megathread - July 2020


    The Macbook Purchasing Megathread - July 2020

    Posted: 01 Jul 2020 02:57 AM PDT

    Have a question?

    Wondering what model you should go for? Ask here!

    • Do make your submission on point while adding as much detail as possible.

    • Mention your intended uses (i.e. video editing, graphic designing, photography, audio editing, gaming, casual browsing, etc).

    That's pretty much it! :)

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    OK to leave MacBook charger plugged in all times?

    Posted: 01 Jul 2020 08:58 PM PDT

    I just got the 2020 MacBook Air, and want to know best practices in order to keep my battery in the best condition for as long as possible.

    I think previous MacBooks have had issues of draining the battery life when it is sitting at 100% at all times, is this still the case?

    Will keeping the charger plugged in at all times affect the battery lifecycle count? If so what is the best way to keep the number low as possible? Thanks!

    submitted by /u/floatvalve
    [link] [comments]

    Happy 8th Birthday to my mid 2012 MacBook Pro!

    Posted: 02 Jul 2020 12:19 AM PDT

    Still going strong even though the battery life isn't that great. Bought it in March 2017 off eBay since I needed a quick replacement after I gave my T440s to my nephew who needed a laptop for school. It was in mint condition with no bubbling screen coating which was very common it seems. To date nothing is wrong with it, no issues with the screen or trackpad or keyboard etc. Bluetooth can act up sometimes though.

    Still feels snappy on Mojave. Use it as a daily driver and it still does what I need it to. Apple really hit it out of the park with this one. Speakers sound nice a clear (unlike the T440s which was god awful) and the display is still gorgeous, not one dead pixel or any other issue.

    submitted by /u/zothog
    [link] [comments]

    Individua eys do not wor on macboo - suggestions????

    Posted: 01 Jul 2020 07:48 AM PDT

    No, not inebriated. My MacBoo Pro seemed to be wor-ing fine. Recent-y, -etters H, J, K, L stopped wor-ing. "G" and ";" and rest of buttons above/be-ow are fine. Sometimes if I beat on 'em wit- force I can get t-em to wor-. Any suggestions? Not-ing was spi--ed on t-e -eyboard. Prefer to avoid buying new computer.

    submitted by /u/justbrowsing0127
    [link] [comments]

    Should I wait for the Apple Silicon or just buy a MacBook now?

    Posted: 02 Jul 2020 12:25 AM PDT

    So I'm going to college this year, and I'm getting a new MacBook Pro, as my current one is from 2012. I'm going to be a programming major although I don't know what I'll eventually focus on. So far I'm thinking of buying the MacBook Pro 13" base model + 16GB Memory and will use this laptop for 4-5 years.

    Because my school is going online for the first term, I won't need to order the laptop until December at the latest. Do you think the Apple Silicon merits me waiting to order it over the current MacBook Pro? What are the main pros/ cons of getting the MacBook with Silicon versus the current 2020 model?

    Side note: The MacBook comes with free Airpods as I'm a student but I already own 2nd gen Airpods without wireless charging. Do you think it's worth it to get the Airpods Pro for $90 when I order the MacBook? My current airpods work well already so I'm not sure if it matters enough to spend more money on. Also my entire family already has airpods/ other wireless earbuds, so I can't just give one of them my old airpods.

    Sorry if I posted in the wrong sub and thanks for any help.

    submitted by /u/Ajthedeer
    [link] [comments]

    I love my 2015 MBP. Need some advice regarding potential upgrade due to damage

    Posted: 01 Jul 2020 03:22 PM PDT

    I dropped my MBP today and now there is a dead pixel black bar about one inch thick running across the screen. Functions fine still, I had to put the quick launch icon bar on the left.

    I am curious if I should pay to get a new display or try to trade it in and buy a 2020 Air or MBP. Would Apple even take it?

    Things I use this laptop for. Browsing, paying bills, sometimes YouTube and maybe some Word and Excel. Also, looking at pictures on Photos app. It's a 256 GB mode and I have about 68 GB space left.

    What should I go for? Get new display, or buy an Air or Pro?

    submitted by /u/mangocasio
    [link] [comments]

    Screen Parts for A1466 2015, Where to buy?

    Posted: 01 Jul 2020 11:52 PM PDT

    Hey macbook,

    Just wondering where I can buy a screen assembly top lid for around $100 or less, iFixit and ebay have prices ranging from $300-500 for the screen alone which is strange.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/fritesalors
    [link] [comments]

    Anyone know any current Bundles?

    Posted: 01 Jul 2020 09:10 PM PDT

    Are there any bundles concerning the Apple Watch Series 3 or 5 and/or a MAC or AirPods?

    Anything like: (Apple Watch Series 5 + MAC) (Apple Watch Series 5) + AirPods) (MAC + AirPods) Or preferably: (Apple Watch Series 5 + MAC + AirPods)

    submitted by /u/PersonalBiscotti
    [link] [comments]

    Which one

    Posted: 01 Jul 2020 08:26 PM PDT

    Hi I live in the U.K. and am currently waiting for apples back to school promotion. I am studying law for three years and want to buy the best MacBook. Do I purchase the £999 MacBook Air w/ i3 I rocessor, the £1299 MacBook Air with the i5 and bigger SSD, or do I simply buy the new 13" MacBook Pro ? Thanks

    submitted by /u/maguire_2018
    [link] [comments]

    Confetti - command+C?

    Posted: 01 Jul 2020 10:34 AM PDT

    This is the strangest thing. I'm not sure what happened but ever since yesterday, every time I press command+C (copy tool), confetti explodes on my screen. And it doesn't copy what I highlight, it just explodes confetti. I don't know how this happened, nor do I know how to turn it off. I googled it but it yielded no results.

    Any ideas?

    TIA

    submitted by /u/jasenick
    [link] [comments]

    Is 8gbs of ram enough??

    Posted: 01 Jul 2020 12:05 PM PDT

    Hello. I'm a total noob to macs and am trying to decide what to buy for my freshman year of university (math/accounting). I'm thinking either an MBA or MBP 13" since I want it to be portable.

    Typically I use my computer with many chrome/safari tabs at once (like 15-20), word docs/powerpoints, pdfs and zoom/webex. I would also like my MacBook to be able to run Bootcamp smoothly as I think some programs used for accounting/finance are better optimized for windows. I also edit light videos sometimes.

    Would the upgraded 2020 MacBook Air with core i5, 8gb of ram and 256 ssd be enough? Or should I upgrade the ram to 16gb? However, at that point the cost of the air would essentially be the same as the baseline pro with 8gb of ram. I'm also concerned about the cooling capacities of the air since everyone's saying its shit. So, what should I buy? Im located in Canada btw, if that changes anything.

    submitted by /u/__carla
    [link] [comments]

    How do I fix this?

    Posted: 01 Jul 2020 12:08 PM PDT

    I’m looking to get my first MacBook but not sure where to start

    Posted: 01 Jul 2020 11:32 AM PDT

    So I'm looking to replace my HP laptop with a MacBook but not sure where the start. I don't need the laptop for anything crazy: need to check email, browse the internet, and maybe write a letter once in a while. I'm open to getting an older, used model but not too old. Any recommendations for where to get one? I want to get an idea of pricing as well. Need to save up for it. Any guidance would be appreciated.

    submitted by /u/andreypedro21
    [link] [comments]

    Can someone tell me what this is called? And if it can be replaced? (And cost, if you know)

    Posted: 01 Jul 2020 10:31 AM PDT

    Safari used google then random switch to using yahoo even though I have google as default

    Posted: 01 Jul 2020 11:58 AM PDT

    I only have google for my search engine and yahoo still shows up. I don't know why it did this and it was kind of random. Please help me if you know why or how to fix it. I just use Chrome now because I don't want to deal with Yahoo.

    submitted by /u/buzzlightyearsr
    [link] [comments]

    MacBook Air 2020 losing charge even when plugged in.

    Posted: 01 Jul 2020 08:09 AM PDT

    I use my MacBook primarily as a text editor/ zoom machine and I just bought it because of issues I've had with windows computers especially with the batteries. But, for some reason when using just safari and zoom my battery still seems to drain even when plugged in.

    submitted by /u/ittom14
    [link] [comments]

    Cursor Keeps Disappearing on Macbook Pro

    Posted: 01 Jul 2020 11:24 AM PDT

    Title, i have a 2017 macbook pro and whenever I switch from one fullscreen tab to the other, the mouse cursor disappears; its very annoying and the only way Ive found to fix it is by closing and opening the laptop again but obviously I dont want to do that every time I switch a tab, any fixes for this??

    submitted by /u/Labuski10
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for some help solving a wifi issue

    Posted: 01 Jul 2020 10:34 AM PDT

    I've recently been streaming from my MacBook (2018 MBP). Although its not ideal and definitely hamstrung compared to using a PC its more than do-able. I also really like the Twitch Studio beta that makes it mega simple.

    My problem is that although my actual internet speed is plenty good enough, and other devices dont have an issue, the wifi speed on my MacBook drops to a crawl every few minutes, then corrects itself. I have sky broadband, meaning that the three sky tv boxes around the house work as wifi extenders, so the signal is strong everywhere in the house.

    Obviously this means i get constant dropped frames. It's a nightmare and means my stream is shit quality. Has anyone had the same issue with this model of MacBook?

    Will provide any extra info if you ask me. Cheers!

    submitted by /u/iamtheliqor
    [link] [comments]

    My first and last Apple product - the 2020 MBP 13" (a.k.a my horrible experience)

    Posted: 01 Jul 2020 10:17 AM PDT

    After years and years of being a dedicated PC/Windows user (and a tad bit of linux) I decided to try the MacBook experience. I specifically waited for the 2020 models to be released in order to take advantage of the new keyboards - which I found quite nice to use.

    The problems began when I started experiencing issues with USB. This is described in quite a lot of detail already and you can see an example of it in this thread:

    https://www.reddit.com/r/mac/comments/gp5b1z/usb_20_issues_on_new_macbook_pro_13_2020/

    Although there are many news articles all over the web already, which speak of the same defect.

    I sent the MBP back for diagnostics to a local "Premium Service" - pointed out for my region in the official Apple support site. There are only two Premium services in my country and this is one of them, and also the reseller I purchased the MBP from.

    After about a week, they replied that they "could not reproduce" the issue. I was quite unhappy, especially because I was afraid this might happen. I was afraid they could be negligent with my notebook as well. And, of course, they were...

    The MBP was returned to me with physical damage on it, which was absent when I gave it to the service. There is a service protocol made for this exact reason - to describe the problem and the current visual condition of the product. And it was described as "physical damage: none".

    At that point my stress levels spiked quite hard. I demanded a replacement and it was denied. I demanded to speak to someone who can resolve this or let me know how they will proceed and eventually, after a lot of wasted time, they connected me to someone. They told me it will most likely not get replaced.

    Today I spoke with Apple support, using their official phone number provided in their website for my country. We spent over 3 hours over the phone. I was bounced around between different advisors and even a manager. Eventually, the manager told me to upload the service protocol and photos of the damage, and that Apple will do what they can to translate the protocol and confirm there was no damage described in it at the time of giving the machine for diagnostics. The machine is still with the reseller, so I haven't used it in half a month already. I was told to upload the documents and call back to confirm they received them. Thought there was progress...

    On the next call, it lasted more than an hour, of which probably 40 minutes was waiting on the line while on my mobile phone. Eventually, for some reason, I was connected to a "PR agent" that will personally take my case.

    At this stage I kind of lost it, mentally, although I kept my cool over the phone. The agent explained to me how this is minor cosmetic damage, considered WEAR AND TEAR. I was flabbergasted, quite frankly out of words. "Normal wear and tear"??? This damage was done by the authorized service. The service protocol is created precisely so that the condition is known. So that if they actually deal new damage to it - it can be proven that it was dealt by them, and not the user. But this was normal wear and tear, you see. On the USB issue, she attempted to explain how it's probably not the macbook - it must be something else. Doesn't matter that 100% of my USB devices work 100% well with my windows laptop and any other laptop or PC I have used them on. Doesn't matter that I used their original USB hub and adapters and it still happens. Doesn't matter that we have dozens of articles and hundreds of user reports on this issue already.

    I literally feel robbed after this purchase. It cost nearly 3K USD to buy it and my experience has been abysmally disappointing. I've never had such a negative experience before.

    And the absolute worst part is that I did enjoy using the macbook. Experience-wise it was great. I bought it for music production and it seemed more than capable to do its job in that regard, on top of a sleek, modern and compact design. I loved it. But the USB issue makes it impossible for me to rely on it. And the physical damage on top of that completely ruined the "brand new" look and experience I bought this for. It turns out that I bought something worse than a referb at the price of a brand new 2020 model with decent specs.

    So tell me, how should I praise this brand? How should I recommend it to anyone, and how should I remain an Apple customer after trying it for the first time and getting this horrible experience...?

    I know it's a long rant, but I just wanted to share what I went through.

    TL;DR: A seasoned windows/pc user tries switching to mac - worst experience ever. 2020 models absolutely not recommended. Apple support experience in EU - not recommended.

    submitted by /u/b_fnk
    [link] [comments]

    2019 MacBook Pro Freezing After 10.5.5 Update

    Posted: 01 Jul 2020 09:47 AM PDT

    I'm updated from Catalina 10.15.4 to 10.15.5 this morning and my computer keeps freezing, requiring a hard reset. Suddenly the trackpad and keyboard stops working and I have to do a hard reset. This happened sporadically on 10.15.4, but it's done it four times in the last hour, making it near-impossible to get anything done this morning.

    Is this happening to anyone else? I tried searching for known issues but couldn't find anything. Of course my warranty ran out two weeks ago 😒

    submitted by /u/tomedwardsmusic
    [link] [comments]

    2020 MacBook Air trackpad issues

    Posted: 01 Jul 2020 04:10 AM PDT

    Whenever I open my computer the trackpad doesn't work. After opening and closing the lid a couple times it starts working. How do I fix this?

    submitted by /u/ssfiguuvixu
    [link] [comments]

    So many tiny screws!

    Posted: 01 Jul 2020 07:28 AM PDT

    Anyone else prefer how the air feels compared to the pro?"

    Posted: 01 Jul 2020 07:19 AM PDT

    I tried both and I really wish the air wasn't so thermally limited because it feels so good!

    submitted by /u/jessek10
    [link] [comments]

    Automatic discharge - Should I get it checked?

    Posted: 01 Jul 2020 06:57 AM PDT

    So I have been using my new MacBook Pro almost always on charge since it came. The battery would be charged to 100% and it would be running on direct power. Now after like 12hrs of usage - The Battery starts to discharge till 90% and then charges again even when the power is plugged in. I did PRAM reset, SMC reset and a self-diagnosis (No error found). This is still persisting.

    Anyone else facing this? Is Apple purposefully doing this to help battery life?

    submitted by /u/karthikmadkekar
    [link] [comments]

    MacBook Air overheating vs. annoying MacBook Pro touch bar? Which is worse?

    Posted: 01 Jul 2020 06:18 AM PDT

    Howdy! I need your advice/insight/opinions! I am debating between getting the 2020 MacBook Air ($999) and the 2020 MacBook Pro 13 inch ($1299).

    I am discerning what could be a bigger pain in the butt (1) the overheating problems of the Air or (2) the touch bar on the Pro.

    1. I am aware (and apprehensive) of the overheating problems on the Air, the poorly heat sync design, the Air gets very hot after just opening a few tabs in Chrome and writing on a word document for 30 minutes, stuff along those lines, etc.

    2. I am apprehensive that the touch bar on the Pro was just a gimmick and it is going to be a bigger annoyance rather than helpful. I wished the F1, F2, F3….F12 keys were just normal buttons. I use the F keys a lot for volume control, brightness levels, keyboard shortcuts, stuff along those lines, etc.

    I mean no matter what I would be upgrading since my last MacBook was the latest 13 inch pro that had a disc drive (I think 2012?). I am trying to figure out what is the worse tradeoff, or what could be a bigger deal breaker for me (the Air overheating vs. the Pro touch bar). Both the Air and Pro are well within my budget. My local BestBuy has them both on display so I do plan to take them both for a spin sometime soon. (yes I know I am getting sucked into the Apple sales pitch, but am only interested in MacBook right now for personal laptop.)

    When it comes to me being apprehensive about the Air overheating vs. the possibly annoying Pro touch bar ---What do you think I need to know? What is your advice? How are your experiences with both? Etc?

    Please and thanks!

    submitted by /u/levi0z
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel