• Breaking News

    Monday, October 28, 2019

    macOS Retroactive: Mac app that lets you run Aperture, iPhoto, or iTunes on macOS Catalina.

    macOS Retroactive: Mac app that lets you run Aperture, iPhoto, or iTunes on macOS Catalina.


    Retroactive: Mac app that lets you run Aperture, iPhoto, or iTunes on macOS Catalina.

    Posted: 27 Oct 2019 10:34 PM PDT

    PSA: Enable Sidecar on Older Devices (Works for Final Release)

    Posted: 27 Oct 2019 12:19 PM PDT

    You've probably noticed that Sidecar doesn't work on MacBook Pro Early 2015 and earlier, and iPads that don't support Apple Pencil.

    I managed to get it working on my MacBook Pro Early 2015 and iPad Air 2. I documented what I did and made a simple app for those who are less tech-savvy. You can find it here: https://github.com/ben-z/free-sidecar.

    I also made an app for those who are less tech-savvy:

    Processing img kw5yluxg55v31...

    Processing img 9egtuvci55v31...

    Download the app here: https://github.com/ben-z/free-sidecar/releases/latest/download/free-sidecar.zip

    X-posted on r/MacOSBeta

    submitted by /u/ben_z
    [link] [comments]

    PDF viewer

    Posted: 28 Oct 2019 12:01 AM PDT

    It is quite astounding that to this day, I don't have an okay experience with a PDF viewer. It would require:

    • tabs and windows management like a web browser
    • vim keybindings
    • reading capability for epub, mobi, etc...
    • integration with the few annotation capabilities, and other capabilities of the PDF file standard (Toc, etc...)
    • PDF reading related functionalities (reading bar, etc...)

    To this day, this has not been done to my mind, and I don't know why Even Zathura, on Linux, don't have that (AFAIK). On OSX, the default and third-party Window Managers don't integrate with it well.

    I've tried Skim, Preview, Acrobat Reader, Zathura

    I would be so glad if anyone could help =) LMK if this is not the right sub.

    submitted by /u/Brimirvaar
    [link] [comments]

    Will you upgrade to macOS Catalina?

    Posted: 27 Oct 2019 11:14 PM PDT

    How to Check for 32-bit Apps on Mac ?

    what will happen widgets desktop ?

    submitted by /u/sameerafit
    [link] [comments]

    How to upgrade my Mac to macOS Mojave?

    Posted: 28 Oct 2019 02:01 AM PDT

    Hi guys,

    I want to upgrade my Mac to 10.14 instead of 10.15 because seems like 10.15 is having a lot of bugs.

    Is there any specific guide out there showing how to do this?

    Thank you so much!

    submitted by /u/cynthiarussell12
    [link] [comments]

    Can You Recommend Some Must-Have Apps for Mac?

    Posted: 27 Oct 2019 07:00 PM PDT

    Discussion: Do we really need Sidecar?

    Posted: 27 Oct 2019 10:22 PM PDT

    So, I was super excited about using sidecar, and once I actually updated to Catalina, and started using photoshop, I began to winder if this was something I really needed. Now, for all the artists, we've got procreate and affinity for editing photos and illustrations. And procreate is really good. You could argue that photoshop has better brushes, but with adobe fresco, you can use all your photoshop brushes right there. Besides which, the photoshop for iPad app is coming out soon as well. The experience on any native application is bound to be better than a Mac app on your iPad as a second monitor, because however low the latency may be, it's going to be higher than that on an iPad app. The only real issue I can see is animating. But the new procreate update has basic animation features that seem to be carried out quite well.

    Now, I expect procreate's animation features to be rather rudimentary as compared to adobe animate, because this will be its first iteration, but I can only imagine it'll soon be as good as the other features available on procreate. Besides which, you could always do the basic animation on your iPad, and airdrop it to your Mac to further edit it. Still don't really need Sidecar for that. I can see it being useful for slideshows, but the whole, "use it as a drawing tablet" thing doesn't really seem necessary anymore. People have been using it as a drawing tablet for a little while now

    I think sidecar would have been a lot cooler, had it come out before iPad art apps got so good. But I'm only looking at it from the point of view of someone who needs it for basic illustrations, so I may be wrong.

    submitted by /u/Metallidoge
    [link] [comments]

    How to reclaim space after removing bootcamp

    Posted: 27 Oct 2019 02:58 PM PDT

    Hi guys I removed my bootcamp through "Boot Camp Assistant". Some how the 200 GB allocated for bootcamp didnt merged into Standard Macintosh HD drive. so i went for online solution and found an article on web page that looked professional. so i followed the advise and ran following commands in terminal :

    1. "diskutil list"
    2. "sudo diskutil eraseVolume free none disk0s3" disk0s3 was the unpartitioned space of 200GB from bootcamp. I was supposed to run the following command:
    3. "sudo diskutil apfs resizeContainer disk0s2 0" but it returned some error.

    Now even the disk0s3 of 200 GB doesn't get listed and i am left with only 300GB space for Macintosh HD drive. I have posted the latest screenschot of "diskutil list" command. As you can see GUID_partition_scheme still has 500 GB size(with an *) but i am unable to access the 200 GB out of it. I have tried even resetting the mac i.e deleting and erasing the Mainctosh HD and reinstalling MacOS Catalina but still i got only 300 GB.Any help in this regard would be much appreciated.

    Processing img w9p0wo1eo5v31...

    submitted by /u/faranwkh
    [link] [comments]

    Bootcamp Partition: is it removeable?

    Posted: 27 Oct 2019 07:10 PM PDT

    I want to try Bootcamp to install Windows 10 on my MBP. Can the Bootcamp partition be removed, restoring the full storage to MacOS? (Effectively removing windows )/r/

    submitted by /u/MonkeySoapRobotz
    [link] [comments]

    After Catalina update, Mac Mini no longer detects secondary monitor (HDMI)

    Posted: 27 Oct 2019 09:38 AM PDT

    I couldn't find any help through a Google search. Anyone else encountered this and have a solution?

    Obviously tried power cycling everything and re-plugging the monitor. The monitor turns on fine, and the Mac Mini runs fine on the primary display, but the display doesn't see the Mac and the Mac doesn't see the display, so when I turn the display on it just says "HDMI No Signal".

    submitted by /u/EzekielGoldman
    [link] [comments]

    Time Machine stuck in an infinite loop! (256 GB files, 3TB backup... and growing) [Mojave 10.15 (19A602)]

    Posted: 27 Oct 2019 11:57 AM PDT

    Okay, so starting off with a bit of background:

    • Brand new Mojave 10.15 (19A602), freshly provisioned MacBook Pro 15
    • No restore performed from any previous backup. Dropbox and Resilio installed, normal work files downloaded through there. iCloud connected normally. No games, no Steam, no OneDrive or Google Drive client.
    • Currently ~256 GB of files in total
    • Brand new external HDD, freshly formatted to HFS+ with Journaling, encrypted

    Now that the scene is set, here's the issue:

    When I attempt to use Time Machine to make my first backup, on the fresh external drive, the backup starts normally (e.g., 1.2 GB of 256 GB in the status bar). When I came back to my machine a few hours later, the backup simply said 3.1 TB...... okay, that's immediately and obviously wrong. But whatever, I'll check back in an hour.

    (A quick df -h tells me, that yes, 3+TB really has been written to the drive!)

    I come back later, and the entire external drive is full. Backup failed.

    df -h, again, confirms this. Disk Utility also confirms this. Great.

    Format the external drive, and let Time Machine initialize it this time. Let it run overnight. Same results.

    So, has anyone here had issues with Time Machine backups on a new installation exploding to infinite size?

    Apple support wasn't able to help, sadly.


    Things I've ruled-out

    • Virtualbox/VMs. Some Google-fu showed that this is a common issue with Time Machine. I haven't installed VB or Parallels yet.
    • Drive errors on internal SSD. Disk Utility scan shows all-clear for parent and container.
    • I've disabled Resilio and Dropbox during the backup process, in case there's some wierd edge-case of file thrashing. No joy.
    • Checked Console to view the live logs during backup. Things flying by super fast, but didn't see anything too crazy. If you have anything I should search for within, let me know and I'll get it done of course.
    • EDIT: Have also tried two other external drives. One a 4TB ancient HDD, and one a new T5 SSD. Same thing, not that I expected the external drive to make a difference, but I wanted to check. :)

    Things I suspect but have no idea how to check

    • There's a recursive symlink somewhere in my files. (For those not familiar, it's a folder-loop, like the Tardis transporting into itself). In terminal's output of ls -al for a directory, I believe it looks like <folderName> -> . How can I scan the drive for these? How would it have even gotten there?
    • Maybe Time Machine is... trying to backup it's own backup?! But that doesn't make sense, if I'm using this with default settings out of the box with default software and a fresh drive, this should be an issue.
    • Time Machine just broken?
    • I'm doing something hilariously wrong?
    submitted by /u/Narked-Pegasus
    [link] [comments]

    DVD Player not working in Catalina

    Posted: 27 Oct 2019 10:13 AM PDT

    Can anyone suggest an alternative?

    submitted by /u/CastingOutNines
    [link] [comments]

    Handoff doesn't work properly on MacOS Catalina

    Posted: 27 Oct 2019 10:56 AM PDT

    Since I updated my Mac to Catalina, handoff had some issues.

    I'm unable to copy-paste text from Mac to iPhone, but it works perfectly to copy-paste text from iPhone to Mac.

    I disabled and re-enabled handoff on Mac and iPhone. I rebooted my Mac and iPhone. Also, I wiped out all Bluetooth files.

    submitted by /u/DonneyZ
    [link] [comments]

    Would it be possible to move the Books library (open while holding the option key) to an external drive to save space specially in terms of audiobooks?

    Posted: 27 Oct 2019 11:59 AM PDT

    Has anyone tried this with Catalina? I've done it for both the music and movie apps successfully. Not sure it would work for audiobooks and ebooks though,

    submitted by /u/hi_score
    [link] [comments]

    Mail issues - particularly Gmail

    Posted: 27 Oct 2019 12:00 PM PDT

    Has any one experienced issues with Mail. A lot of mails have disappeared since the update to Catalina. Downloaded from the server and deleted. Never to be found again. Support seems baffled and has no knowledge of the issue. But it appears new mails are not always coming through either. Are we the only ones?

    submitted by /u/Jurassicjayfish
    [link] [comments]

    which external monitors have native HiDPi mode?

    Posted: 27 Oct 2019 02:20 AM PDT

    i'm looking for a 25-27 inch monitor with USB-C support to charge my MBp 2017 as well. i am currently using a dell 27 QHD U2715H which is pretty awesome but lacks USB-C AND doesn't natively support macOS hidpi mode which sucks.

    4k is not a must as i'm happy with qHD

    submitted by /u/fanckush
    [link] [comments]

    Photos Library taking a huge amount of disk space on my MBP

    Posted: 27 Oct 2019 10:38 AM PDT

    I opened the Photos app on my new MBP which started downloading all photos. For some reason, it was set to download originals. So afterwards I noticed my free disk space had shrunk significantly. So I changed the setting from "download originals" to "optimise Mac storage", but nothing changed and the library is still taking as much as before. Can I somehow force the Photos app to offload the originals and use the cloud-version when I want to open them?

    submitted by /u/krisvdv
    [link] [comments]

    Dock Being Over-eager Since Catalina

    Posted: 27 Oct 2019 02:34 AM PDT

    Forgive my inability to formulate this in proper technical terms. But I was wondering if anyone else had been having a set of problems since installing catalina.

    First, my dock is much earlier to appear than usual. Problematically so. Using Spotify, for example, I can't scrub through a song. Or in full screen on my lecture watching service, it's very difficult to press the rewind, pause, etc. buttons because as soon as I go that close to the bottom of the screen, the dock appears. I have been using this service and spotify for many years now and have never had that problem. Has anyone else noticed this?

    The second thing is more an aside, but I couldn't find anything online about it either. When going full-screen in safari I can no longer use the mouse, only keyboard commands, and the cursor doesn't disappear after a few seconds.

    submitted by /u/hans-georg
    [link] [comments]

    Stuck on Catalina 19A558d

    Posted: 27 Oct 2019 09:09 AM PDT

    I was in the beta program for awhile but unenrolled when Catalina was released publicly. There's been three newer public versions since then but I haven't gotten any of them. It says there's no newer version and I can't install it from the App Store. Anyone else seeing this?

    EDIT: I figured it out, kind of. Not sure what the root cause is but you can manually install the Catalina installer by running this command:

    softwareupdate --fetch-full-installer --full-installer-version=10.15 

    And then obviously just install it from Applications.

    submitted by /u/DryWishbone1
    [link] [comments]

    macOS Catalina background download activity

    Posted: 27 Oct 2019 02:21 AM PDT

    Hi,

    I upgraded about a week or two ago. Everything has been working smoothly, nothing to complain about.

    The only thing is that there seems to be some kind of constant background download activity happening. I'm talking GB's and GB's of data, and no apps are active. It's not App Store updates, it's not a specific app doing anything, it's not Apple Photos restoring a catalog or anything like that. I have no idea where this is coming from. Has anyone had a similar experience?

    Thanks,

    Cheers

    submitted by /u/morganmoller
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel