• Breaking News

    Sunday, October 27, 2019

    macOS Just noticed there are two variants of the same wallpaper

    macOS Just noticed there are two variants of the same wallpaper


    Just noticed there are two variants of the same wallpaper

    Posted: 26 Oct 2019 01:12 PM PDT

    Should Apple go back to a 2 year launch cycle for their major releases of macOS?

    Posted: 26 Oct 2019 10:17 PM PDT

    My photo library disappeared from both my SSD and from all my backups. MalwareBytes didn't detect anything. I should be alarmed, right? [Mojave]

    Posted: 26 Oct 2019 08:54 PM PDT

    How to downgrade to Mojave or High Sierra?

    Posted: 26 Oct 2019 10:19 PM PDT

    I updated to Catalina without taking a backup of my Macbook Pro. I'm having problems with unzipping files ("Error identifying a writable temporary folder.."), everything is asking for permissions all the time which is annoying as hell, some of my plugins in Ableton are messing up, so I want to go back to an earlier version of Macbook Pro.

    I have an ancient time machine backup of my old laptop which probably has High Sierra on it. If I format my drive and I restore from this backup, will it be on High Sierra or Catalina?

    I would rather have a clean install. Can I find an official copy of Mojave anywhere to do an install from external media/USB? It's not an app store anymore.

    If I formatted and reinstalled (without external USB), would it install a copy of Catalina, or High Sierra which it came with (2018 Macbook)

    EDIT: https://support.apple.com/downloads/macos

    Are these full versions of the OS I can put on a USB? They're labelled as updates

    submitted by /u/ixwit
    [link] [comments]

    Duplicate photo storage?​ (Mojave)

    Posted: 27 Oct 2019 01:50 AM PDT

    No internet after Catalina update

    Posted: 27 Oct 2019 12:45 AM PDT

    I just updated my 2016 MacBook Pro w/ Touch Bar, and now I can't get online. Every other device works fine.

    It was working initially, and then started faltering - I'd turn WiFi off and on, or switch from 5ghz to 2.4ghz, and it'd work for a bit before crapping our again. Now, though, there's nothing. It says it's connected to WiFi but nothing loads.

    Is anyone else having a similar problem?

    submitted by /u/whoinvitedthatkid
    [link] [comments]

    Torrent download on Catalina

    Posted: 27 Oct 2019 12:22 AM PDT

    Hey guys, uTorrent isn't compatible with Catalina and wouldn't work. So, I was wondering if anyone knew of any alternatives for downloading torrents that worked the same way?🙂

    submitted by /u/arnold112
    [link] [comments]

    New Mac Essentials

    Posted: 26 Oct 2019 08:04 PM PDT

    Hi everyone, I recently purchased my very first Apple computer. I purchased a 15 inch MacBook Pro and I was wondering, what are some of the most recommended Apps, Programs, Tweaks, and general tips for a brand new Mac user? I know this has been asked before but I figure since Catalina has just come out the answers may be a bit different. So far I've purchased a nice little USB C hub, a UAG case, and I've setup Windows 10 via Bootcamp on my system. I'm definitely interested in seeing what else you guys suggest. Thanks for the input and suggestions in advance.

    submitted by /u/sicilian504
    [link] [comments]

    Can you really not search for a song and 'Play Next' anymore on Catalina? Useably bad if so

    Posted: 26 Oct 2019 05:13 PM PDT

    Most stable OS for Working Professionals?

    Posted: 26 Oct 2019 01:07 PM PDT

    Switched over to Windows three years ago. Decided to jump ship again after a series of frustrating experiences. I won't go near Catalina as it's brand new, so I suppose my question is between High Sierra or Mojave. Which is most stable / fluid? Preferably, would love to hear from working professionals who rely on industry standard software and plugins in order to carry out their work properly. Programmers, designers, musicians, photographers, editors, etc. Thanks!

    My config: 2018 MB Pro 15" | 2.2 Ghz 6-Core i7 | 16GB RAM | 256GB SSD

    Software used: Atom for light coding, Adobe Suite (PS & AI mainly) for print work / Ableton Live Suite + third-party VST's on weekends

    edit: added hardware specifications and software used.

    submitted by /u/gotmyselfinapickle
    [link] [comments]

    Promise R4 problems with Catalina

    Posted: 26 Oct 2019 08:24 PM PDT

    Is anyone else having issues with their externals causing complete restarts ... I looked at my Apple reports and it is saying yes to kernel issues with my externals ... argh and this is going to be the last promise drive I buy if this one has gone bad. Too expensive to just be an issue every two years. I have 3 doorstops and do not need another one 😂

    If it is my drive does anyone have suggestions as to a external that does work with MACS? Thanks in advance for any suggestions

    submitted by /u/artdavinci
    [link] [comments]

    Catalina update reset my music library to local (iMac) from the Synology server where it (and my media) resides.

    Posted: 26 Oct 2019 12:47 PM PDT

    Several weeks have gone by before I noticed. So now I have the new Music Library locally in the Music file on my iMac and a several weeks old iTunes library xml file on the server. I have done quite a bit since then. What is my best move from here to have my library file in the most efficient place and current, without losing anything I've done in the past few weeks?

    submitted by /u/Claude_Henry_Smoot
    [link] [comments]

    How to remove items from finder view? Don’t want this John wick folder there forever lol. Thanks.

    Posted: 26 Oct 2019 07:29 PM PDT

    Is a 2019 MBP worth it for a student OVER a 2017 MBP?

    Posted: 26 Oct 2019 10:59 PM PDT

    Basically, I'm looking at getting an MBP for school. I need it to last 4 years at minimum, and I need good battery life. Will the quad core CPU in the 2019 model actually benefit me much? Will the battery life be any different?

    Thanks.

    submitted by /u/GermBurglar007
    [link] [comments]

    uTorrent Web Update for Catalina

    Posted: 26 Oct 2019 10:39 PM PDT

    How to reset Apple News region in Catalina?

    Posted: 26 Oct 2019 06:44 PM PDT

    After installing Catalina, Apple News no longer works, error says my region is incorrect, but where? Was set to Australia in Mojave, was fine. Not such a big deal, news is not a killer app, but was ok to browse...

    in System Prefs, I have unticked icloud news and restarted and re-added news in cloud. nope.

    Removed icloud account, restarted, added it back. nope.

    Have confirmed location in language & region, deleted English UK and English US. nope.

    Just a little annoyance...

    submitted by /u/gikku
    [link] [comments]

    App Store App Installs are Failing in Catalina

    Posted: 26 Oct 2019 06:31 PM PDT

    I recently updated my MacBook Pro to Catalina. I'm having a couple bugs - first off, sometimes when I wake my computer from sleep I find myself at the lock screen but the computer is not recognizing my input from my trackpad or keyboard. But more annoyingly, and more prominent, is a bug in the App Store. I will find the app I want to download, click the "Get" button, then it turns to "Install" so I click that and it goes back to "Get" and so on and so forth - thus leaving me in a vicious cycle and I can't download the app! Anyone else have this issue? Any ideas on how to get the app downloaded? Also, will Apple push updates to MacOS to fix bugs like they do with iOS? Any insight would be much appreciated!

    submitted by /u/zachway
    [link] [comments]

    Trying to connect to my iPad wirelessly through the Catalina Finder, keep getting this notification. There are no other users on this Mac.

    Posted: 26 Oct 2019 07:31 AM PDT

    Accidentally Turned On FileVault Disk Encryption And Can't Abort

    Posted: 26 Oct 2019 03:22 PM PDT

    Accidentally Turned On FileVault Disk Encryption And Can't Abort

    I'm in a bit of a pickle here, I accidentally turned on FileVault encryption and now it's doing the encryption process however it is stuck at 5%. My specs are listed at the bottom of this post.

    FileVault Encryption Stuck At 5%

    I watched a few videos that said to run

    sudo fdesetup disable 

    in Terminal, however it returned with

    FileVault not disabled (-69573) 

    Please tell me how to abort the encryption process, or at least speed it up. Also, I know this same issue was already posted however the person who posted it never got an answer and also didn't include much detail so I decided to repost it.

    MacOS Version

    10.15.1 Beta (19B68f)

    Processor

    1.6 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5

    Memory

    8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3

    Graphics

    Intel HD Graphics 6000 1536 MB

    submitted by /u/ZiyphGames
    [link] [comments]

    HELP! Mac OS X could not be installed - No package was eligible

    Posted: 26 Oct 2019 01:17 PM PDT

    Hi guys. I recently wiped my wife's MacBook Pro (2014) and tried to reinstall OS X El Capitan with CMD + R and all that. Everything goes fine with the installation up until the point where the Mac says that the OS X could not be installed and that there are no eligible packages.

    I have already tried to change the date and time in terminal (even though it was set correct?) As tons of websites claim is the easy way to fix this. This did not help at all.

    Im getting desperate, please help me. Thank you so much in advance!

    submitted by /u/Znthrx
    [link] [comments]

    How do I do a clean re-install but keep files and apps from current install?

    Posted: 26 Oct 2019 12:47 PM PDT

    I have a Mojave install with a ton of files and apps that I would hate to have to manually reinstall and manually move to a new installation. However, I need a clean reinstall because my system files are FUBAR after a ton of "tweaking" and "fixing" things in order for NPM packages and such to work (move this file here, edit this file there, etc to the point that nothing works right anymore). From what I read, a time machine backup restores EVERYTHING like it was, which would defeat the purpose. I want the equivalent of a clean install, plus my apps and files still there. Does anyone know how?

    submitted by /u/StreamPanel
    [link] [comments]

    Least buggy OS of last several years is Mojave?

    Posted: 26 Oct 2019 05:53 AM PDT

    Man, if I had $100 for every time distnoted ran away and ate up all my CPU, or I got a beach ball at the user account login screen. Sigh. I actually thought Mojave was one of the more stable OSs of the last several years, and I think I'll keep that stance

    (running Catalina)

    submitted by /u/movingforward91
    [link] [comments]

    Catalina on a Macbook Air 2015 with 4GB of RAM (review + issue)

    Posted: 26 Oct 2019 04:49 AM PDT

    Hello!

    I am writing here a small report of my experience of Catalina on my Macbook Air 2015 with 4 GB of RAM. I hope my experience will be useful to someone with the same or a similar device.

    First of all, I've become more cautious with upgrades on my machine, because I know that 4 GB of RAM are not a lot and one day they won't be enough to run macOS properly. Until now, however, for my use, which is mostly Firefox, Word, Mail, Affinity Photo/Designer for some small projects and not much more, I've been really lucky: with every release, the RAM has never been a limit for me and the Macbook generally runs very smoothly and well. Actually, I'm amazed, as this is the first computer that has lasted me four years without any single hardware issue.

    This Mac has been running every single macOS version before Mojave: Yosemite, El Capitan, Sierra, High Sierra, Mojave. All of them had their issues, but all of them ran quite fine. High Sierra was stable only quite late in the cycle and same with Mojave. Mojave was actually, when it was released, the most disastrous macOS release in my experience. Unstable, with a flickering boot, slow. However, by the time 10.14.4 was out, it was all good. The only issue I had was with the removal of subpixel font smoothing, which completely destroyed the quality of the text on my non-retina screen (and even on every external screen and projector I've used). It was really awful and dumb and I've hated Apple for it. I know that it was possible to re-enable it with a command, but that introduced issues with the theme in many apps. So, the general situation with Mojave on my Macbook was: generally, it was working extremely well, if not for the shitty font rendering.

    The other day I've done a fresh install of Catalina on my Macbook Air. I know that 32 bit support has been removed, but the only 32 bit apps that I have are some old indie games I haven't used in ages, so it's okay. The installation went well and, remarkably, Catalina has been quite smooth, considering that it's a .0 release. On my Mac, it certainly works better than High Sierra and Mojave when they were first released. In particular, I have to say that, somehow, the font rendering looks much better than on Mojave! I don't know what has changed, but the text is certainly more readable and less pixely. I'm very happy with the font quality on my non-retina screen, it's a lot less awful. So, yeah: in my experience, if you have a non-retina Mac, do consider upgrading to Catalina just for this small quality of life improvement.

    Just a side note: if you upgrade to Catalina, remember to remove the Mojave subpixel font smoothing setting by entering in the terminal: 'defaults write -g CGFontRenderingFontSmoothingDisabled -bool YES'. I've read that this setting doesn't work well with Catalina anymore.

    Everything else runs normally, nothing to report. The memory usage has not increased and everything is butter smooth. I only have one issue: Catalina drains a lot of battery when my Macbook is sleeping. Twice in a row, now, my Mac has gone overnight from 100% to 60% battery percentage. No previous version of macOS had this problem on this Mac. I know that Mojave did for some, but maybe it was fixed when I moved to it stably. I have reset the SMC and I hope this will fix the problem, but I'm skeptic. I know that I can change the hibernatemode from terminal, but I don't want to do it, as I would lose Find My Mac plus this shit should be up to Apple to be fixed. So, yeah, I hope things will get better in the next days, but this really sucks.

    TL;DR: Catalina runs great on my Macbook Air 2015 with 4 GB of RAM. Everything is smooth, the memory usage is the same as usual. Even better, font quality seems to be improved from Mojave! However, the release has introduced a battery drain problem when my Mac is sleeping.

    UPDATE: after the SMC reset, the battery drain while sleeping issue seems to have disappeared.

    submitted by /u/donfdi
    [link] [comments]

    Windows like management for app windows?

    Posted: 26 Oct 2019 09:33 AM PDT

    What I'm looking for is if there's a way to do windows management like windows 10. For example, I can drag a window to the left side of the screen and it'll automatically resize to take up exactly half of the left side of the screen so that you can put something else on the other half. Anyone know how to do this?

    u/ocaklilar suggested magnet and it's exactly what I wanted. Thank you!

    https://magnet.crowdcafe.com

    submitted by /u/1nvasi0n
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel