• Breaking News

    Tuesday, July 30, 2019

    macOS With all the debates about Spark's security problems, this one just seems like extra stupid...

    macOS With all the debates about Spark's security problems, this one just seems like extra stupid...


    With all the debates about Spark's security problems, this one just seems like extra stupid...

    Posted: 29 Jul 2019 06:26 PM PDT

    I somehow have two different AppleID's on my Macbook?

    Posted: 30 Jul 2019 12:18 AM PDT

    I went to go watch a pre-ordered movie on iTunes after getting a notification on my iPhone that it's ready to view. So I grabbed my macbook and opened up iTunes, but it says I have to purchase it. After further investigation when I got to iTunes>Account it shows my old email (old AppleID) but when I click the apple logo at the top left > System Preferences > iCloud; it shows my current email (current AppleID). Why does my iTunes have a different AppleID than the system? How can I correct this on iTunes so I can view my pre-ordered movie? I googled around and de-authorized all devices on iTunes but my old AppleID is still associated to iTunes.

    EDIT: Running Mojave on Macbook

    submitted by /u/HerrowPries
    [link] [comments]

    Newcomer to MacOS. Might I ask a few questions?

    Posted: 29 Jul 2019 03:19 AM PDT

    Edit: What a friendly subreddit :) Thanks for all the really useful answers, I can't respond to all of them unfortunately

    Hello, I just got myself my first MacBook (Pro 13 inch). I love the experience, but there are a few things I am thoroughly confused about, being:

    • What is the point of closing apps with the red 'x'? It doesn't even close the app, it just kind of minimises it? And, what is the difference between the yellow minimising button and the red x ? I just use command + Q to actually close stuff at the moment.
    • Is there some kind of logic behind the Fn, control, option and command keys? I'm having a hard time remembering the which one of the 4 I have to use for each shortcut.
    • I'm not sure how windows/ desktops work. I'm used to having all windows maximised in windows, and just alt+tabbing in between them, but MacOS seems to put all apps in Fullscreen when you maximise them, and treat these fullscreen as separate desktops, which you have to three-finger swipe though. The thing is, you This means you have to three-finger some fullscreen apps, and other apps that are not maximised have to be command+tabbed or accessed through mission control, which is weird because I have to remember which app is maximised and which ison a desktop. Am I completely missing a point here?

    Thanks in advance for your help, I'm happy to be part of the club!

    submitted by /u/Kukikokikokuko
    [link] [comments]

    Problem: Mojave 10.14.* Wi-Fi connects to network but no internet connection

    Posted: 29 Jul 2019 11:56 PM PDT

    Hello,

    my issue is that after I wake up my MacBook Pro 2018 "15 (in the morning or after a longer period) it connects to my Wi-Fi network at home, work or school but when I try to open a website in safari it doesn't load.

    • I have tried multiple browsers or
    • even used the terminal to ping a website
    • 2.4 GHz or 5GHz makes no difference

    All of the above did not work.

    What seems to fix my problem is that when I restart my entire MacBook. Which I find quite inconvenient to do so every time I put my MacBook away.

    submitted by /u/DJMcMuffin
    [link] [comments]

    App-generated Password Calendar Sync on PC Triggered iCloud Drive to Move Files to MacBook’s Desktop

    Posted: 29 Jul 2019 11:51 PM PDT

    I have a PC and a MacBook Pro with iCloud storage. I wanted to sync my iCloud calendar with the Microsoft one so I used the app generated password for my iCloud account on my PC calendar, pressed Sync, and then my MacBook's desktop started moving files by itself from iCloud Drive to my desktop. I have no idea why anything was triggered to affect my MacBook when I was just dealing with my PC.

    I am on the latest stable release of macOS and the latest stable release of Windows 11.

    submitted by /u/HyruleBorn
    [link] [comments]

    Mac alternative to Windows jump lists?

    Posted: 29 Jul 2019 12:31 PM PDT

    I use Windows 10 at work and MacOS at home, and one Windows feature I've loved for years is jump lists. To be able to right click on the Word or Excel shortcut and go straight to the file I want to open. But I've never been able to find a 3rd-party alternative for Mac. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/t1ndog
    [link] [comments]

    Can Time Machine pull from backups on other machines/accounts?

    Posted: 29 Jul 2019 04:43 PM PDT

    Last fall I moved from a 2012 iMac to a newer one for work. I still have the drive I used for Time Machine and it has backups from the old machine on there, though the account name is different on my new iMac, so backups are under different names.

    Since they're still my files (I didn't use Migration Assistant to the new machine, but they're mostly the same) is there any way I can access those old backups on my new iMac, or are they for the old machine only?

    submitted by /u/das_goose
    [link] [comments]

    Boot Camp Assistant won’t proceed past first screen

    Posted: 29 Jul 2019 04:33 PM PDT

    when i open boot camp assistant, i can't click past the intro screen. i hit the continue button and nothing happens. no errors, it doesn't freeze or crash, it just stays there staring me in the face not moving to the next screen. there's no other hidden pop up windows somewhere in the background.

    i am running Mojave on a late 2015, 27" iMac. based on my model of mac, i shouldn't have to use a usb installer but i did try that also with the same result, except that time it gave me a warning to eject my external drive.

    my hard drive currently has one partition, and i ran first aid and everything was fine. i recently just did a full time machine restore.

    anyone encounter this or have any suggestions?

    submitted by /u/StuckyFan
    [link] [comments]

    Files & folders placed on desktop. Are deleted automatically

    Posted: 29 Jul 2019 10:10 PM PDT

    I just noticed if I place anything on the desktop it's going to trash right away. There's this little gear icon at the top bar spinning. I deleted cache folder since the console pointed at that location when deletion occurs. Any other location keeps the files correctly. It's just desktop.

    submitted by /u/jlcrack
    [link] [comments]

    Changing force touch utilities ?

    Posted: 29 Jul 2019 09:16 PM PDT

    Hello again.

    I've found force touch to be immensely useful for the on-the-fly dictionary it provides within chrome, but I would like to remove all the other crap like movies and news and maps that make it lag for a full 2 seconds every time I use it.

    Is there any way to do so?

    submitted by /u/Kukikokikokuko
    [link] [comments]

    Running Mojave 10.14.5. I "temporarily" closed my mail window (preview, right side) - now I can't get it to open again.

    Posted: 29 Jul 2019 05:44 PM PDT

    When I mouse over to the right edge I can see the bar-arrow symbol, but no matter how carefully I place and drag it, I can't get it to budge. I tried double clicking, holding down various keys, etc. - to no avail. This seems to have occurred only after I upgraded to 10.14.5.Please help if you can...

    submitted by /u/UrbanDragon
    [link] [comments]

    Close all windows open in the current workspace only?

    Posted: 29 Jul 2019 05:25 PM PDT

    Is there a keyboard shortcut or terminal command for closing all windows open on the current desktop? I'd be happy with a shell script as well.

    Context: I have a bunch of different projects I need to work on, and I want to be able to quickly open/ close all the windows to work on any given project. I wrote a shell script for each project to open all the windows needed for that project, but I don't have a quick way to close out any given project.

    submitted by /u/ehmatthes
    [link] [comments]

    [Guide] How to disable / remove / uninstall iTunes on MacOS Mojave or higher

    Posted: 29 Jul 2019 03:22 PM PDT

    Warning: it requires disabling SIP

    Apple has made it nearly impossible to get rid of iTunes in the latest MacOS, however after some digging i found a way to make it happen.

    First you will have to disable SIP:

    •reboot your mac in recovery mode (hold CMD + R when booting) •click utilities -> terminal •type: csrutil disable hit enter. •reboot your Mac

    Second: •open Finder/Applications •right-click the iTunes icon •click "Show Package Contents" •right-click on the Contents folder and "Move to Bin"

    note: even with SIP disabled you can not simply delete iTunes by moving it to the bin the traditional way.

    Third re-enable SIP:

    •reboot your mac in recovery mode (hold CMD + R when booting) •click utilities -> terminal •type: csrutil enable hit enter. •reboot your Mac

    Done.

    submitted by /u/whoisandras
    [link] [comments]

    How to update System Information’s Legacy Software list?

    Posted: 29 Jul 2019 11:03 AM PDT

    My System Information's Legacy Software list is full of deleted software and games and I don't see any button to update it? How can I reset this list?

    submitted by /u/vadim_muhtarov
    [link] [comments]

    Macs Fan Control sensor and temperature range

    Posted: 29 Jul 2019 01:52 PM PDT

    With reference to this blog post: https://jonbrown.org/blog/keep-cool/

    By chance I have the exact same iMac referenced and would like to use it to transcode some films with Handbrake. I noticed the fans never seem to increase by default and the computer becomes really hot as a result. I'd rather keep it cooler with the fans going seeing as it takes many hours per film.

    Are the sensors and temperature ranges selected in the blog good to go or do they require modifying?

    submitted by /u/dodgymoose
    [link] [comments]

    New comer, is it better to run windows 10 through boot camp or parrarell ?

    Posted: 29 Jul 2019 09:55 AM PDT

    I want to run windows alongside Mac, I need windows for easy access to steam, also 3utools..

    I got a MacBook Air 2015.. any help is appreciated .

    submitted by /u/deejay_harry1
    [link] [comments]

    Can someone code a Stereo HomePod AirPlay 2 widget?

    Posted: 29 Jul 2019 11:55 AM PDT

    I find it annoying how limited you are to iTunes / Music when wanting to stream to your Stereo HomePod. Can someone possible create a program where I can apply any sound source to it? Perhaps even a Safari extension for Airplay 2 Audio.

    submitted by /u/soramac
    [link] [comments]

    Time Machine and Photos Question

    Posted: 29 Jul 2019 11:34 AM PDT

    Hello,

    I am currently running the patched MacOS Mojave on my 2010-2011 MacBook Pro 13". I'm looking to wipe it clean and start over with High Sierra (the most recent and official version of MacOS for my machine.

    I have just backed up my hard drive via Time Machine. I have around 30+GB of photo/video on my MBP Photo library. Since they are all backed up, can I access them from my Time Machine when I downgrade to High Sierra?

    I hope this made sense.

    submitted by /u/CharlesAlkan
    [link] [comments]

    automatic dark mode for *some* apps

    Posted: 29 Jul 2019 05:43 AM PDT

    hi everyone, new to this subreddit! i joined because i noticed my mac automatically activates dark mode around a certain time in the evening, but it only affects apps like messages, notes, and (for some reason) the address bar in chrome. it automatically deactivates at a weird time in the morning, 7:40am. i HATE this and can't find anywhere in settings to turn it off. maybe i'm just a fool? i'm running mojave 10.14.5. can anyone help?

    submitted by /u/bellehooks
    [link] [comments]

    Seriously? You can't change the notification sound?

    Posted: 29 Jul 2019 03:26 PM PDT

    I started using a Macbook Air for work in the last month and I've spent some time trying to figure out how to change the notification center sound. The various messaging programs I use, as well as some admin/monitoring software, all use the default notification center sound. Not only have I been unable to figure out a way to do so, I'm seeing very few people asking how to do it or why such ABSOLUTELY BASIC FUNCTIONALITY doesn't exist in macOS?

    I don't want you to think I'm an Apple hater. I have other Apple products for personal use and I love them. I find many aspects of macOS favorable to Windows, but the most minimal of customization that seems to be missing here is ridiculous. Am I missing something? Is it an option available somewhere? Did macOS use to have this functionality in an older version and it went the way of the headphone jack?

    What is your opinion? I get that Apple users are predominantly folks that don't want to have to think about using their hardware, but would it really be that much to offer this functionality to even a small percentage of people interested?

    submitted by /u/Rez9x
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel