• Breaking News

    Friday, June 14, 2019

    iPad The iPad has quite seriously changed my daughter's life

    iPad The iPad has quite seriously changed my daughter's life


    The iPad has quite seriously changed my daughter's life

    Posted: 14 Jun 2019 03:33 AM PDT

    I've mentioned it in passing in a few threads - but my youngest child has fairly severe dyspraxia. Not so much in the stereotypical clumsy sense of the public imagination, but in the same way I strongly suspect I have it too - you can visibly see her mind blank out when it comes to how to instruct her body to do the next step of something. I get similar (obviously never knew what it was) when I'm writing things by hand - my mind totally blanks out which way to go to form the next part of a letter.

    It's made the last year of school absolutely awful for her. We're in the UK and our curriculum these days has got blooming ridiculous - the writing demands even at age 5 and 6 have gone through the roof lately and there has been this gaping chasm opening up between what this very intelligent little child can understand, read and think, and what she can actually record on paper - you can see her struggling to remember how to form a letter and where to place words - and her self esteem has taken such a huge battering recently with this (we've not had the greatest year with teaching staff either).

    Managed to persuade school to let us try a bit now we're near the end of the year of her using her iPad in class - and I have a different child coming out of school not in tears over how she feels her written work isn't as good as her peers... she's using Clicker Docs which is pricey but is a very solid primary age word processor package and you can turn predictive text on or off, add word banks to it, and it will read a sentence back in a child's voice after it's written, and Snaptype Pro where you can photograph a worksheet and tap and type anywhere on it... and she's coming home (as a fairly young 6 year old) and managing to print her work off from the day herself, export it as a PDF into a notes app to keep it saved (I love Clicker Docs but its file save features aren't the best for what we need) and the change is just dramatic. She can do things like record the sentence she's working on so it stays there for the time it takes her to write it (she has very poor working memory which is quite common with dyspraxia) and the other day they were doing a lesson where half the stopwatches in school weren't working (I'm a teacher myself - this is a ridiculously common state of affairs) so she was using her iPad for her group to time her!

    The other thing we've found is that she will write for hours using an apple pencil - with a silicone sleeve on it's nice and chunky for her to hold (but still "cool" unlike lots of pencil grips) and I think the fact she knows she can rub it out and re-do work helps her a lot. I've imported handwriting paper into goodnotes with the lower half of the letter space highlighted so she can see visually what size all her lower case letters should be and it's helped her dramatically - and of course she can zoom in and write in her normal quite large handwriting - but printed out at normal size it looks the same as everyone else's for her! There's also a load of handwriting apps out there - which when you use them with an apple pencil actually have helped this kid with a massive motor planning skills problem begin to form letters correctly and join some of them up. Unfortunately voice dictation software as of yet isn't the solution for us as she also has verbal dyspraxia (apraxia if you're in the US) so her speech is badly affected.

    Just thought I'd throw a different "how I use my iPad" tale in there - she's quite a young 6 years old. All with a basic 2018 ipad, cheapo case and screen protector and she's got a cheap bluetooth keyboard I wrote the lower case alphabet on with a sharpie that she keeps in school but I don't think she uses it much and just uses the on-screen one (we have a lower-case keyboard installed on it but she tends to use either the in-built Clicker Docs one which has the Sassoon Font on it, or the default Apple one most of the time)

    submitted by /u/Qwertytwerty123
    [link] [comments]

    Using iPad Pro Multitasking for Calculus

    Posted: 14 Jun 2019 05:04 AM PDT

    If you like this sort of wallpapers (abstract, weird, vivid color...) then you should check out "beeple" on Twitter, I've been using his pieces for a while and they are always fresh since he makes new ones everyday! Enjoy.

    Posted: 14 Jun 2019 04:53 AM PDT

    Why I didn’t like the Logitech slim folio pro

    Posted: 14 Jun 2019 09:14 AM PDT

    I ordered the (just gonna call it the folio pro for the body fo the post.) folio pro for school; because my iPad Pro will be my in class device. I bought it, pulled it out of the box and immediately knew it wasn't what I wanted.

    Design

    I liked the way it protected my device overall, but hot damn it was so thick and heavy. It at least doubled the weight of the device. I also thought it slightly hindered the ability to use things on the edges of the screen. Especially the Home Bar. The rubber bumper was nice to protect it, but it just kind of killed the function.

    Typing Experience

    This was basically the straw that broke the camels back. I personally prefer flat keys like on the magic keyboard, but this has these concave keys that made it so I didn't hit keys straight on. It got really annoying, really quick. I gave up on it in an hour. I got a free return label and dropped it in the post the next day. I really liked the key switch feel though. It wasn't very mushy, and it had a good sound.

    Functionality

    The Apple Pencil holding function was nice, and I did like how nice the latch held. It had a very strong magnet. The volume and power buttons were also very clicky and nice

    Conclusion

    If you're looking for the cheapest name brand option, and want protection, this is you case. If you're looking for the best typing experience, skip it. If your want it to feel like a laptop, again, this isn't for you. You'd be looking at the Brydge Pro. If you want something ultra portable, this isn't for you. You'd like the apple Smart Keyboard folio. It's a good value for a keyboard case if you're willing to deal with a few compromises.

    submitted by /u/OhItsReallyNoah
    [link] [comments]

    Using my iPad Pro to write digital notes for university!

    Posted: 13 Jun 2019 09:22 PM PDT

    YES, good shapes at last notability! (partial eraser too)

    Posted: 13 Jun 2019 05:56 PM PDT

    How to draw organic molecules

    Posted: 14 Jun 2019 09:21 AM PDT

    As a chemistry teacher I need to draw some molecules and Im trying to avoid the handwriting

    submitted by /u/Blissed1813
    [link] [comments]

    Hi. Anyone know which is the best and cheap “dongle” to connect Pendrives and MicroSD Cards with iPad Pro 2nd Gen?

    Posted: 14 Jun 2019 10:29 AM PDT

    Brydge for Ipad 11"'s left hinge bent upwards. Anyone else has the same issue? ����

    Posted: 14 Jun 2019 06:15 AM PDT

    Found out iPad Air 2 screen repair is hefty, is it worth it?

    Posted: 14 Jun 2019 09:53 AM PDT

    My sister used to have an iPad air 2 for school, and when she broke it instead of getting the screen repaired she upgraded to a newer model. I recently found the iPad in one of the drawers and she said if I wanted it it's mine. I was surprised to see how crisp the retina screen looked however the screen was still broken. Upon finding how expensive it is to replace the screen (£199) I wondered whether it was worth it considering the age of the iPad. Are there any of you guys still using this model, And if so does the OS run smooth apps are unwell et cetera? Have been looking online and I can see refurbished iPads for the same price as the simple screen replacement of mine I'm wondering whether it's worth it. Any advice would be great. Cheers 👍🏼

    submitted by /u/joeysykes17
    [link] [comments]

    Logitech Keys-to-go, amazing!

    Posted: 14 Jun 2019 09:52 AM PDT

    Hey Peeps,

    So i just got my iPad Pro 11"and i was in search of a keyboard case. In the end, i did not get the Apple smart keyboard nor any other one Cause they were to expensive or to massive for the iPad.

    I am using a Logitech Keys-to-go now for a couple of days and i am loving it. It is super light (180 gram) and it types pretty well. I must say you have to get used to the keys and it i a little cramped but if you are not typing hours on end it is a very good solution.

    Hope this information is usefull to the ones who are in search of a keyboard.

    submitted by /u/TessaMTF
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for local video streaming app with marked as watch

    Posted: 14 Jun 2019 01:31 PM PDT

    Hi. I'm currently using FileExplorer to stream video files from my NAS. Its been working out pretty good, playing pretty much everything I throw at it. My only issue is that it doesn't show a mark to note that a video has been watched. With Kodi, it shows 2 check marks. Is there an ipad or ios app that has this feature? thanks

    submitted by /u/ShermanTanko
    [link] [comments]

    Looking to trade my 12.9” 256 cellular for a 11”. Is anyone interested?

    Posted: 14 Jun 2019 12:59 PM PDT

    Buy IPad Pro now or wait till autumn?

    Posted: 14 Jun 2019 12:53 PM PDT

    Hi guys! I need your advice. I am going to buy IPad Pro 11 inch during this summer - I like it a lot! Buuut... Maybe is it worth to wait till autumn when new IPad Pro would be probably released? Is there any information about new iPad Pro in 2019?

    submitted by /u/abragor10
    [link] [comments]

    Apple ios

    Posted: 14 Jun 2019 12:44 PM PDT

    I seen Apple iOS 13 was going to have support for PS4 and Xbox controllers. I haven't been able to find if that will be included in the iPad ( new to apple products ) don't want to have to buy a controller for iPad when I will just be able to use my PS4 controller

    submitted by /u/Bigdaddy-Coconut
    [link] [comments]

    Removing iPad from Zugu

    Posted: 14 Jun 2019 08:53 AM PDT

    Looking for a case to use my iPad with when I'm at home and on the weekends (with kids I need protection). At work thought I will use the Folio Keyboard. How easy is it to remove the iPad from the Zugu on a daily basis? Is there a better case for this?

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/russmcbride1618
    [link] [comments]

    Full MS Word on ipadOS

    Posted: 14 Jun 2019 07:53 AM PDT

    Hey, does anyone know if it's been announced whether the full version of word (and other office apps) will work on ipadOS? I'm thinking of getting the pro and this would be a very useful feature.

    submitted by /u/OnDaRitz1
    [link] [comments]

    11” iPad Pro owners, can you comfortably read a letter sized pdf in one half of the screen while writing in the other?

    Posted: 14 Jun 2019 10:51 AM PDT

    I was meaning to get a first gen 12.9 incher but I was turned off by this subreddit's advice and the fact that the thing might be too large to carry around, plus the design is dated, might as well go with something that'll look and work good for a few years.

    I have a 9.7 inch Pro and it's fine for most things but it's really annoying having to zoom really far into documents to read them. I don't need the text to be super large, just crisp enough to read and I figured the aspect ratio of the new iPad might be a bit better. Anyone uses their 11" like this? How is it?

    submitted by /u/throwthegarbageaway
    [link] [comments]

    Is there a way to draw scientific diagrams?

    Posted: 14 Jun 2019 04:35 AM PDT

    And possibly export them to tikz (tool to draw diagram in latex)? I need to draw many scientific diagrams, I tried Geogebra but I find it very difficult to use. Also, if possible it should support various Greek symbols.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/GreedyComputer
    [link] [comments]

    Can the cheap iPads multitask in 3 windows like the Pros with iPadOS?

    Posted: 14 Jun 2019 10:30 AM PDT

    Above

    submitted by /u/semero
    [link] [comments]

    Can iPad Pro running iPad OS finally replace your laptop?

    Posted: 14 Jun 2019 09:54 AM PDT

    Does anyone here own the ZAGG rugged book go ?

    Posted: 14 Jun 2019 08:48 AM PDT

    https://www.zagg.com/eu/es_eu/keyboards/rugged-book-go-apple-ipad-pro-11

    Seems like a new case with detachable keyboard and support for apple pencil. Looks like its kinda new so i dont know if someone has it and could share her/his experience with it.

    The fact that the keyboard is detachable seems like the real deal for me since my main usage of the ipad is drawing and being able to have both things separately made it a MUST HAVE for me and fellow artists.

    submitted by /u/nikostr8
    [link] [comments]

    Finally updated my 3rd gen iPad Pro 12.9 to iPadOS . What games do you guys recommend for playing with my PS4/ XB1X controller & what games currently work ?

    Posted: 13 Jun 2019 08:03 PM PDT

    So is there like a list that one can see which games one can currently play and use either the PS4 or XB1X controller .

    The only games I know that work since I have seen on videos is Fortnite and Real Racing 3 .

    Both run very smooth and very good even though I honestly am not that good at either game as I don't really play those types of games .

    I just tested Metal Slug 3 and it works great .

    Goat Simulator works ok but needs more work .

    Playing Crossy Road is pretty sweet since it's a very simple and casual game that is better playing using a controller instead of using the touch controls which in a larger tablet can be cumbersome and tiresome .

    I am testing these games currently with my XB1X controller but it works with PS4 as well .

    Lastly I do have a PS4/XB1X console but I don't game much & am typically more on the go so what games would you guys recommend playing on my iPad Pro that support these controllers .

    submitted by /u/mhaL7
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel