• Breaking News

    Monday, June 17, 2019

    Apple Daily Tech Support Thread - [June 16]

    Apple Daily Tech Support Thread - [June 16]


    Daily Tech Support Thread - [June 16]

    Posted: 16 Jun 2019 08:16 AM PDT

    Welcome to the daily Tech Support thread for /r/Apple.

    Have a question you need answered? Ask away! Please remember to adhere to our rules, which can be found in the sidebar. On mobile? Here is a screenshot with our rules.

    Join our Discord and IRC chat rooms for support:

    Discord

    IRC

    Note: Comments are sorted by /new for your convenience

    Here is an archive of all previous "Tech Support" threads. This is best viewed on a browser. If on mobile, type on the searchbar [title:"Daily Tech Support Thread" author:"AutoModerator"] (without the brackets, and including the quotation marks around the title and author.)

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Shortcuts Sunday - [June 16]

    Posted: 16 Jun 2019 06:14 AM PDT

    Hello /r/Apple, and welcome to "Shortcuts Sunday".

    The "Shortcuts Sunday" thread is your place to share your Shortcuts with the /r/Apple community.

    To share your Shortcut:

    1. Open the Shortcuts app
    2. Tap the "..." button next to the shortcut you will be sharing
    3. Tap the "Share" icon
    4. Finally, tap the "Copy iCloud link" icon and paste it to your comment.

    When sharing your shortcuts, please add a brief description of what your shortcut does and how it is useful. Bonus points if you can include a screen record of the shortcut in action.

    Don't forget to visit the /r/shortcuts subreddit for more information, guides, and shortcuts!

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Apple CEO Tim Cook: Technology companies need to take responsibility for chaos they create

    Posted: 16 Jun 2019 12:58 PM PDT

    Apple wants to make Oscar-worthy movies to beef up streaming service

    Posted: 16 Jun 2019 08:46 PM PDT

    Comment: iCloud has finally delivered on Steve Jobs’ original promise from 2011

    Posted: 16 Jun 2019 06:05 AM PDT

    LumaFusion 2.0 released!

    Posted: 16 Jun 2019 07:12 AM PDT

    Mac Pro: All Apologies, Signed Apple Pundits

    Posted: 16 Jun 2019 01:27 PM PDT

    TIL pressing Command+Click on multiple open windows will make both active, thus stopping you from having to click each window when you'd like to switch focus

    Posted: 16 Jun 2019 09:53 AM PDT

    This works very well when you have two windows open side-by-side.

    I have a high resolution monitor that allows me to place two windows (for me, this usually means a code editor and a browser window) on the same screen. Often times, I navigate between the two, and I've found having to click each window to enable scrolling on that window quite annoying. While it might sound trivial, it can get annoying when you are referencing both windows quite a bit.

    Today I found out that if I hold down the Command key and then click both windows, each of them become active at the same time. Now, whenever I place my cursor over one of the windows, I can immediately scroll without having to click that window to enable its focus. It saves me those extra clicks, which has really enhanced my experience so far.

    submitted by /u/FungoGolf
    [link] [comments]

    PSA: To all those with iPad's sitting in shelfs; store it half-charged when you store it long term. Or else it'll lose capacity

    Posted: 16 Jun 2019 07:35 AM PDT

    Thought might be of interest because I didn't know about it until yesterday. Maybe it'll help other people too.

    Apple has a page about it: https://www.apple.com/batteries/maximizing-performance/

    submitted by /u/CalvinbyHobbes
    [link] [comments]

    Apple Pay and other contactless payments explicitly not allowed because it’s deemed less safe?

    Posted: 16 Jun 2019 03:01 AM PDT

    Apple really needs to up their game with educating merchants and the public about the safety benefits of Apple Pay.

    Spotted this at London's Luton Airport just now. When asked, was told explicitly it's because Apple Pay isn't as safe.

    Edit: ugh. I cannot attach images. Facepalm Ok basically it's a huge sign at every cash register with the Apple Pay and generic contactless payments icons overlaid by a red X and, in red capital sans serif underlined font, "WE DO NOT ACCEPT PAYMENTS."

    On a broader level, I've (generally noticed the following:

    • most US merchants still don't accept Apple Pay, even in SF(!); or if they do, hardly anybody uses or

    • anywhere I go - US or Europe - people always gasp when I use my iPhone or Watch to Pay

    • many merchants especially in Europe have claimed that it's not as safe and indeed is risky

    • the above point is reinforces by many merchants limiting Apple Pay to just $20 or so

    The biggest irony is that despite all this, ironically, in Europe, Apple Pay — contactless payments in general — actually so end up working everywhere, even when the merchant claims it will not. (You should see the look on their faces when I prove them wrong.)

    So what's the deal?

    submitted by /u/AutonomousHoag
    [link] [comments]

    PSA: If you use Safari on macOS, you should turn on 'Show Status Bar'

    Posted: 16 Jun 2019 08:04 PM PDT

    I realised I hadn't enabled 'Show Status Bar' in Safari after creating a new user account. Without it on, you can't see if a link is trying to trick you into going somewhere else.

    Screengrab showing the issue

    I got a swathe of sneaky spam messages recently, some very obvious (like this video) while others mimicked emails quite well. There are legitimate uses for having the link not exactly match, e.g. 'view the latest story here.' but it's good to keep an eye on it.

    I've sent feedback to Apple, I think this should be on by default. While spam filters usually catch these things, it should be clear where you're about to be directed to.

    To enable it: In Safari (on macOS) under the View menu, select 'Show Status Bar'. Now when you hover over a link, the address will show at the bottom'.

    On iOS you can hold on a link, the share sheet usually shows the URL at the top.

    submitted by /u/evenifoutside
    [link] [comments]

    Anyone Experiencing Severe Lag on the iPhone X When the Battery is Below 10%?

    Posted: 16 Jun 2019 10:13 PM PDT

    I'm on iOS 12.3.1, my battery health is at 90% and I've noticed that when my battery gets below 10% it absolutely chugs getting like 10 frames a second when dragging up and down, especially from the control center. My battery also drains crazy fast at the same time where I sometimes can't make it through like an 8 minute YouTube video while on WiFi. Was wondering if anyone else was experiencing anything similar?

    submitted by /u/JoshJosherMan
    [link] [comments]

    Took over a month to get my New Music Mix

    Posted: 16 Jun 2019 02:50 PM PDT

    I just wanted to make this post for anyone else who may be new to Apple Music and has this same issue.

    The playlists obviously take time to be curated and show up with Apple's Recommendation Engine, though I didn't expect it to take this long. Maybe it's because of my extreme pickiness of music, but it took me over a month for all of my mixes to show up, the My Music Mix being the last one.

    To speed up the process, remember to love or dislike ALL songs you listen to in order to allow the engine to better learn your listening habits.

    Hopefully this helps anyone who's new to Apple Music and is wondering where their mixes are.

    Cheers.

    submitted by /u/anticrypt
    [link] [comments]

    What happens to the in store display iPhones after they've served their purpose?

    Posted: 16 Jun 2019 01:58 AM PDT

    Are they just thrown out? I doubt they're okay to be sold

    submitted by /u/sashagreyhound
    [link] [comments]

    Tracking location history

    Posted: 16 Jun 2019 09:55 PM PDT

    My dad is bordering on dementia right now and I'm afraid he is forgetting to eat his lunch.

    Is there a way I can record his iPhone location history so I can look it up each dad and see where he has gone? He always goes out to eat lunch so if I don't see him stopping inside a restaurant, during the middle of the day, I'll know he's skipping lunches and may have crossed the line into full blown dementia.

    I have complete access to his phone as if it were mine so can install any apps as needed.

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/dondon63
    [link] [comments]

    Your experiences with AppleCare and battery replacement?

    Posted: 16 Jun 2019 12:43 PM PDT

    I have had my iPhone SE for almost two years now, and its Applecare coverage expires next week. I'm a light user, but I've noticed the battery has definitely fallen off from when I first purchased it (to be expected).

    Now, my battery health claims it's still at 83 percent, and I just came back from the apple store where their own genius bar service told me the same thing.

    This diagnosis simply doesn't reflect real-world performance though: my phone does not last throughout the day if I'm actively using it, and even last night, watching youtube for 90 minutes and browsing for 30 minutes on low brightness brought my battery down from full capacity to 30 percent, which seems way too fast for something rated at 83 percent. I should note that I always have my screen brightness turned down, I've cleared my phone storage of unused apps and photos (16/32 GB used) and am generally pretty diligent about preserving battery in day-to-day use, but it's still draining pretty fast.

    https://imgur.com/qXAZwRK

    https://imgur.com/a/xyprZIU

    Long story short, the apple store did not budge on replacing my battery because its diagnosis still says 83 percent, and the genius bar employee says they'll only replace if it's 80 percent or under. I'm only 3 percent away, so even though she was sympathetic towards my experience with the phone's actual performance, I still have to shell out $65 if I wanted to replace the battery. I was hoping Apple would exercise some discretion here based on real-world feedback, but they were pretty firm about going by their own diagnosis as gospel.

    My question: has anyone ever had any luck replacing their battery within AppleCare's coverage even if it was slightly above 80 percent? Since ios12 won't even let third-party apps determine iphone's battery health anymore, are we just to accept Apple's own diagnosis at face-value, even when its accuracy seems to contradict real-world performance?

    This leaves a really bad taste in my mouth, because, of course, I wouldn't be surprised if my battery health lingers around 81-82 percent for a while, and then within a couple of weeks past AppleCare's expiry, lo and behold drops to 79-80 percent - by which then I will be SOL.

    I really regret that I never took advantage of the battery replacement promo last year, firstly because it would have been wasteful, and also I figured I would replace it when it actually started to degrade. In this instance, it seems my faith in AppleCare was naive and misplaced =/

    submitted by /u/123peter
    [link] [comments]

    I made a screensaver based off the WWDC graphics

    Posted: 15 Jun 2019 08:49 PM PDT

    Family needs more than 200 GB. Assigning separate storage plans is cheaper than upgrading to 2 TB?

    Posted: 15 Jun 2019 09:43 PM PDT

    TLDR: instead of jumping to 2 TB, can i just assign family members separate storage plans so total cost is less than 2 TB plan? Without any downsides, such as loss of other family sharing perks?

    I take care of a family plan that includes my husband. I just added my mom to our family and now we're at the brink of passing the 200 GB limit. I currently have 150 GB, he uses 40 GB and my mom uses 10 GB. I share "family" stuff with my husband like share calendar, reminders, etc. Not with mom.

    I was about to bite the bullet and switch from the 200 GB ($4 CAD) plan to the 2 TB ($13 CAD) plan, but it's such a steep change in price. Can I just put my husband on a separate 50 GB plan, and share the 200 GB plan with my mom?

    From what I can tell, it would be cheaper ($5.30 CAD total) and no downsides. We can still share "family" stuff. My mom and I will total 160 GB, leaving us 40 before I need to bump up our plan. And when husband reaches 50 GB, I can bump him up to 200 GB which is still cheaper than a single 2 TB plan.

    Ninja edit: On husband's Mac, the process seemed simple. I was able to remove him from family storage and put on a 50 GB plan. I guess we'll see what happens, if there are any hiccups. He's not very techy so I'll have to monitor his storage to bump up when he reaches the limit.

    submitted by /u/thesmithtopher
    [link] [comments]

    Sign in with Apple now fully working on live sites - happy to answer any and all questions!

    Posted: 15 Jun 2019 02:33 PM PDT

    Hi everyone,

    I just finished working on the initial implementation of Sign in with Apple, and it's pretty awesome! I put together a short clip of it in action here, and you can also try it out on a project that I have been working on for the last few months called CardPointers, to help people get the most out of their credit cards by maximizing bonus categories; iOS 13 app coming soon thanks to the awesome SwiftUI, but that's for another post :)

    https://imgur.com/zaAiEqV

    To answer the most common questions I've seen so far:

    • You can sign in with Apple natively in just two taps using FaceID or TouchID on any iOS/iPadOS 13 or MacOS 15 devices. Occasionally, even using the native modal, it might pop you to a web view to log in that way for some reason; unable to reproduce consistently.
    • It does also work perfectly on earlier devices, Chrome, and any other OS/browser by taking you through the normal Apple login process for your account.
    • The relay email system does NOT work right now when logging in non-natively (see the first point above), but works perfectly if you are running the beta versions. In the example above, I requested the "name email" scope, and I receive a JSON string back called "user" with "email", "name->first_name", and "name->last_name".

    If you want to play with it yourself, it's now live and public, please let me know if you run into any issues!

    https://getcardpointers.com/

    submitted by /u/emcro
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel