• Breaking News

    Tuesday, February 20, 2018

    Apple Help Amount of free storage dropping randomly, and Photos & Videos taking up massive amount of space on my iPhone 5s.

    Apple Help Amount of free storage dropping randomly, and Photos & Videos taking up massive amount of space on my iPhone 5s.


    Amount of free storage dropping randomly, and Photos & Videos taking up massive amount of space on my iPhone 5s.

    Posted: 20 Feb 2018 07:35 PM PST

    So recently my iPhone 5s, running on iOS 10.3.3, has been losing storage fast, so I checked up on what's taking up most of my storage. Turns out 2 movies I had downloaded on my Netflix app had been taking up about 1 gigabyte of storage, so I deleted them and freed up space. Now, with the photos I've saved since then, I have about 700 - 800 MB free at any given time. However, the About section in Settings will sometimes drop that number down to between 200 - 300 MB, then suddenly to Zero KB, then jump all the way back up to the 700 - 800 MB range. I don't know why it does this.

    Today I uploaded all my photos to my computer and deleted ~200 of them, thinking that was the problem. I'm saving about ~100 photos that I really need to have on my phone. It still says I'm using up almost 700 MB with Photos & Videos. I don't know how this is possible. I now have about 100 MB free, apparently. I deleted everything from Recently Deleted, I checked, so that isn't the problem.

    My phone still functions fine and I don't think I have a need to replace it, but is this just an issue with me neglecting to update my iOS, or something else?

    edit: I was just reading on Apple Forums and it looks like a few folks have had similar troubles. The first solution seems to be backing everything up and factory resetting. If I do that, I want to know - will iCloud backup EVERYTHING on my phone, as in: Notes, the folders I have within Notes, bookmarks and favorites, iBooks, Messages, Contacts, etc? Or will all of that be gone? Is there a solution that doesn't involve resetting my whole phone?

    submitted by /u/massivecutforgothisp
    [link] [comments]

    What would be the smartest cable to connect a 2011 macbook air (mini thunderbolt) to a monitor with displayport?

    Posted: 20 Feb 2018 07:57 PM PST

    Is there any advantage between either ofthe following two options:

    1) Mini-thunderbolt --> diplayport

    2) mini-displayport --> displayport?

    The screen has DP, DVI and HDMI input. Max resolution 1440p (2560 x 4440). I'm currently using a miniDP-to-DVI cable and it's only giving me a random choice of resolutions, half of which don't work

    The macbook air (A1369 - 2469) uses an Intel HD Graphics 3000 graphics processor, which is said to be fine at 1440p. Even if not 1440p, I'll still want the best cable choice

    submitted by /u/dontcarewont
    [link] [comments]

    deleting iCloud photo backups without deleting current/synced library?

    Posted: 20 Feb 2018 07:57 PM PST

    (On iPhone 6s) I deleted many photos in my library on an older device (iPhone 5c) but these didn't delete in iCloud. Now on my 6s, iCloud is still full of my old library + all the deleted photos and it says anything I delete on iCloud deleted on all devices. I want to backup my current photo library but it is full with my old library and deleted photos. I still have my iPhone 5c but don't want to delete my whole iCloud Photo Library as it would delete these since it syncs. Help? (Also iCloud photo storage is full so nothing from 6s has been backed up)

    submitted by /u/almondjoyeux
    [link] [comments]

    Steps to getting embedded video working in LibreOffice Presentations?

    Posted: 20 Feb 2018 07:41 PM PST

    So I made a LibreOffice Presentation(5.0.4.2) with imbedded video on my desktop where everything worked exactly like I wanted. I re-encoded all the video to be Quicktime compatible MP4 files. When loaded it on my laptop, none of the videos worked. I updated LibreOffice, updated ffmpeg, and doubled checked that the files work in Quicktime.

    Not sure what to do next.

    submitted by /u/Duamerthrax
    [link] [comments]

    My iPhone 8 has been stuck in a booting screen from the Telugu bug

    Posted: 20 Feb 2018 07:24 PM PST

    My iPhone 8 is stuck booting and vibrating after i received the Telugu bug via snapchat.I tried updating the iOS but i always get an error (1667) as well as when i try to restore it. If you have any idea about what i should do it would be greatly appreciated! P.S ( I work at a mac repair shop so I've tried the most basic ways of fixing it apart from just taking it apart and buying a new logic board, but I'm really starting to contemplate it.)

    submitted by /u/SirBreadSticks
    [link] [comments]

    Still getting calendar notifications after they've been deleted.

    Posted: 20 Feb 2018 07:02 PM PST

    I had 2 daily recurring events on the calendar app on my iphone 8 and deleted them (including all future events) 2 days ago, I've since been getting notifications for them. I've even tried logging into icloud.com to delete them from there but they're not listed on the calendar there anymore either. How do I get these event notifications to stop?

    submitted by /u/haneybd87
    [link] [comments]

    Any way to get a mouse’s side buttons working on macOS without BetterTouchTool?

    Posted: 20 Feb 2018 04:36 PM PST

    I have a mouse with two side buttons that I wanna use to go forward and back. I'm currently using the BetterTouchTool trial but I don't wanna get a license for it because I only use it for those two side buttons on my mouse.

    Is there any app similar to Scroll Reverser (free, out of the way, always on) that makes the side buttons go forward and back?

    Running macOS Sierra on a 2015 13" 256GB storage 8GB RAM MacBook Pro.

    submitted by /u/SimShade
    [link] [comments]

    Early 2011 MacBook Pro white screen

    Posted: 20 Feb 2018 06:28 PM PST

    My mom has an early 2011 15in MacBook Pro that will no longer boot. It will make the starting noise, show the loading bar and make it about half way or so and then just sits at a white screen forever.

    I've tried everything i can find online.
    *Reseting NVRAM (Command+Option+P+R)
    *Safe mode will not load (Holding shift while booting)
    *Holding Command+R on bootup
    *The only thing i can get to work is holding Command+Option+R to get to the network boot option, after that loads for a few minutes it goes back to the white screen. i put in an extra SSD i have laying around and tried the same combination with the same results.

    About a year ago i replaced the standard HDD with an SSD and upgraded to 8GB RAM. Tried putting in hold RAM and no changes there. The original hard drive completely died so i am unable to try using that again.

    Any help or suggestions are appreciated!

    submitted by /u/_purexfatality
    [link] [comments]

    Is there any way at all to get to the OS recovery system options on a 10.6.8 iMac with a wireless keyboard?

    Posted: 20 Feb 2018 06:15 PM PST

    I have El Capitan on a USB that I want to reformat the iMac with since it's currently on 10.6.8 and Neither Cmd-R nor Option or Option-C being held at restart are working to achieve this I think because the wireless keyboard stays off until the machine fully boots.

    It's from my SO's deceased grandfather and no one knows the admin password either so installing El Capitan directly from the desktop isn't an option either (but we are able to log in luckily, so options through terminal, startup disk or disk utility would work).

    Only answer I'm seeing online is to go get a wired Mac keyboard (since I need the command and/or option keys) and I really don't want to have to go do that because we already have a MacBook Air and MacBook Pro and don't need more junk we don't need lol.

    submitted by /u/Reditor_in_Chief
    [link] [comments]

    Help! I was being stupid and locked myself out of my iPhone (not so simple of an issue)

    Posted: 20 Feb 2018 08:55 PM PST

    For the record I did search and found nothing of help.

    In order to access the iPhone, Apple Support says to connect to iTunes on the previously synced computer. MY SYNCED COMPUTER WILL NOT BYPASS THE "TRUST THIS COMPUTER?" MESSAGE. I have an old (2 months) backup so I am 100% sure this is the computer I use (it's also the only one I own).

    I really really do not want to lose any of my data as I have extremely important contact info and pictures that I have gained since my last backup (yes I know, I messed up).

    There is no Apple retailer near me, but I am willing to make a drive if stores are able make a backup of the data.

    submitted by /u/Tactic-Raider
    [link] [comments]

    Hello people. I keep getting this error message when trying to update iTunes.

    Posted: 20 Feb 2018 03:52 PM PST

    "There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program run as part of the set up did not finish as expected. Contact your support personnel or package vendor"

    I tried the google but none of the suggested solutions worked, I thought perhaps here I could get an advice I'm looking for. Much appreciated.

    submitted by /u/DerSchlangeman
    [link] [comments]

    2017 27" 5K iMac HDD Replacement

    Posted: 20 Feb 2018 01:22 PM PST

    The configuration I purchased came with the 1TB fusion drive - I bought this as a compromise knowing down the line I would possibly be interested in replacing for a full SSD. I've found the drive on OWC I am interested in installing, however, I am nowhere confident in my ability to do this myself anymore (this after reading iFixIt's guide). Are there third-party services that will do such a replacement?

    submitted by /u/kdorsey0718
    [link] [comments]

    AppleHelp – Optimizing .PDFs to make them easier to highlight/copy?

    Posted: 20 Feb 2018 12:29 PM PST

    https://i.imgur.com/HO6EwV3.png

    I have to read a lot of these types of files and they can be frustrating to work with. I wonder if there is some way to (ideally for free) optimize these documents?

    Also, maybe better applications for this?

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/iSunMonkey
    [link] [comments]

    Activation Locked phone? Please help

    Posted: 20 Feb 2018 06:10 PM PST

    My aunt has an iPhone, and noticed an activation lock on her phone randomly yesterday. She attempted to sign in to unlock the phone, but the password wasn't working. She never changed the password.

    So she contact Apple support, they helped her reset her password. I'm not sure how she was able to reset her password, since she has Two Factor Authentication, and can't remember any of her trusted devices. She stated her trusted phone numbers were on that locked phone itself, and possibly her landline.

    She eventually reset her PW using the locked phone. I'm guessing there was a prompt that she could tap to reset her password, when attempting to sign in with her password and couldn't. "Forgot password" button?

    After resetting password, she was able to enter her passCODE and eventually unlock the iphone, so there was no longer an activation lock. Afterwards, she saw the Welcome or Hello screen, and it apppeared like her phone was starting from scratch. However, all the content was there for the most part, probably because of iCloud.

    What exactly happened? There's a few things I'm confused about.

    1.) Did someone gain access to her account, and enable Lost Mode, turning on Activation Lock on her phone?

    2.) IF so, how would they do that if they don't have access to her trusted devices or number to begin with? I thought Two Factor required a verification code from a trusted device, when signing in from a NEW device.

    3.) How did she manage to reset her password? The only trusted device and phone number she knew was her locked iPhone... Which she couldn't gain access to for any verification codes/calls. She also never used her landline for an automated call. It was all done on her iPhone that was locked.

    4.) If someone was able to access her account despite the Two Factor, woudln't they be able to get into her account again by cracking the password? Apparently they have access to her trusted device/phone #.

    submitted by /u/DarkestTriad
    [link] [comments]

    7+ freaking out and not letting me use it

    Posted: 20 Feb 2018 05:33 PM PST

    I turn it on and it goes into a black loading screen, flashes to the home screen and goes back to the black screen. What can I do? Thanks!

    submitted by /u/ratrear
    [link] [comments]

    Boot Loop iPhone 7 after Telugu bug

    Posted: 20 Feb 2018 05:17 PM PST

    i sent the telugu bug to my roommate over GroupMe as a joke and it sent his phone into a boot loop, as in the Apple logo doesn't go away. I've tried hard resetting it with power and both volume buttons and it just stays in the loop. I've also tried safe mode where you power it up and hold down the volume up button and that almost worked. I saw the unlock screen for half a second and then it went back to trying to boot up again. What can i do to turn this mans phone on? He has ios 11, albeit i don't know what version.

    submitted by /u/RJ119x
    [link] [comments]

    Custom Guest Account in High Sierra

    Posted: 20 Feb 2018 05:13 PM PST

    I am trying to customize the Guest User account in High Sierra and I followed this post https://www.reddit.com/r/applehelp/comments/55sp5o/custom_guest_user_sierra/

    However, for some reasons I couldn't perform the 3rd command bash-3.2# rm -R /System/Library/User\ Template/English.lproj/Library/ It says there is no such folder.

    Can someone help me? Thank you!

    submitted by /u/playpopo
    [link] [comments]

    2015 iMac ssd upgrade

    Posted: 20 Feb 2018 05:13 PM PST

    I have a 2015 iMac 4K with a fusion drive. Can the pcie usb be upgraded to a higher capacity and used as a primary drive. If so would the transcend or owc drive work?

    Cross posted r/Mac

    submitted by /u/bob-akins
    [link] [comments]

    Which tablet would be the best one to use for painting?

    Posted: 20 Feb 2018 05:08 PM PST

    I would like one that preferably has a pressure sensitive pen compability.

    submitted by /u/Laviniya
    [link] [comments]

    Trying to download macOS High Sierra

    Posted: 20 Feb 2018 05:04 PM PST

    When I try to download High Sierra this error message shows up. Running 10.6.8 on this mac currently.

    submitted by /u/kcin1523
    [link] [comments]

    Can my paired airpods cause interference with nearby phones?

    Posted: 20 Feb 2018 12:52 PM PST

    My airpods are working great with my phone and my laptop to listen to music and take calls in my office. Coincidentally when I starting using them my office mate's cell phone has been cutting out during calls (Android LG G6, pretty new, about 5 feet away). His bluetooth is off. Can my airpods be interfering with his phone calls? I really hope not. They're working great for me!

    submitted by /u/jillhives23
    [link] [comments]

    Need help upgrading to os x 10.9

    Posted: 20 Feb 2018 04:35 PM PST

    Mac is from 2011 running 10.6.8. I'm trying to upgrade to 10.9 but am having difficulties. At first I checked for software updates, but after I installed them I checked again and the SAME updates showed up again as if I already didn't install them. Then I tried looking in the apple store butt all I could find was 10.9.1, which required 10.9. Can someone help?

    submitted by /u/StarKing15
    [link] [comments]

    iPhone 6 screen pixelated after battery replacement - Apple won’t fix

    Posted: 20 Feb 2018 12:26 PM PST

    Anyone else have this issue. Battery was replace 2 weeks ago. Phone is a spare so has only been used 2 or 3 times in that period. When I went to turn it on yesterday the screen was pixelated. Apple store says since it passed their diagnostics after the replacement they won't fix. Phone was fine (apart from battery) prior to them opening. Any thoughts on how to escalate? This seems like pretty crappy customer service to me.

    submitted by /u/MrsMcMommyPants
    [link] [comments]

    Certain file types are showing as blank icons. Besides copy/pasting the icon in the Get Info panel, how can I get them to show the proper icon?

    Posted: 20 Feb 2018 04:09 PM PST

    Right now it appears to be my .mkv files. They're just showing blank icons in Finder (the white sheet of paper with the corner folded over).

    I've tried copy/pasting the desired icon into the Get Info panel of one of them, and then clicking "Change All" but the change only gets applied to the individual file.

    Is there a way to change the icon of all of my .mkv files at once?

    submitted by /u/Sr_Navarre
    [link] [comments]

    Phone doesent turn on after telegu bug

    Posted: 20 Feb 2018 09:21 AM PST

    Hi, one of my friends recieved the telugu thing through instagram, and instead of just closng the app the phone turned off and is stuck on the blank apple logo screen. Anyone knows a fix? (iphone 6s)

    submitted by /u/kiryl501
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel