• Breaking News

    Thursday, October 22, 2020

    macOS iMac won't recognize SSD

    macOS iMac won't recognize SSD


    iMac won't recognize SSD

    Posted: 21 Oct 2020 07:26 PM PDT

    I bought an older iMac (late 2009 27in) for my girlfriend for Christmas and wanted to upgrade the RAM and swap the HDD for and SSD. I got a WD Blue SSD and swapped out the old drive.

    I had planned to use recovery mode and just do a network install of High Sierra (the latest OS for this model). However, when I booted up I was met with the flashing question mark folder icon. I tried a few times and all the different key combinations to boot to recovery mode but the only one that worked was holding the alt/option key which is supposed to show available drives. It didn't show any available drives. So I got a flash drive and got the High Sierra installer from the Apple website. Now I can get to recovery mode but the SSD doesn't show up in disk utility or anything.

    I don't know what else to do. Do I need to format the drive before I put it in? I was under the impression I could do that from recovery mode. Did I get a bad drive?

    submitted by /u/jkliewer1
    [link] [comments]

    How much freaking free disk space do I need to update XCode?

    Posted: 21 Oct 2020 02:06 AM PDT

    Passwords will save to Keychain Access but not Safari Passwords

    Posted: 22 Oct 2020 01:05 AM PDT

    Hey guys, is anyone else facing an issue on Public Beta 10 where AutoFill passwords, when saved, will show up in the Keychain Access app on Mac but not in Safari's Passwords settings?

    To clarify, if I sign up on a new website with an Apple-generated password, AutoFill will save it into the Keychain but I won't be able to view it in the list on Safari Preferences unless I manually enter it in there.

    submitted by /u/MannyM2498
    [link] [comments]

    Replacing a failing SSD on late-2012 27" iMac - is a 2Tb SSD drive too big?

    Posted: 21 Oct 2020 02:35 PM PDT

    I was told that 1Tb is plenty but if I can get the good quality 2Tb at a decent price sooner, then is that OK/better?

    submitted by /u/bakkhos
    [link] [comments]

    Should I just give up on this iMac at this point ? (See description)

    Posted: 22 Oct 2020 01:25 AM PDT

    I'm at the end of my rope here. So I managed to find someone here who had a great collection of installers and Dmg's and I was able to create installers.

    My issue now is I can get through most of the install and then towards the end it reboots for no reason and tells me it can't boot or this couldn't be installed. I've followed everythng to a T. I am borrowing my sister's macbook from 2019 to flash all these drives and such.

    The only boot image I've gotten to work well so far is El Capitan. I'm at the end of my rope here like is it a hardware issue that's causing all of these problems ? Or what else can I do to try and fix this. Please help.

    A1311 model - core i3 8gb of ram.

    submitted by /u/batboy29011
    [link] [comments]

    iPadOS / iOS type desktop with application groups?

    Posted: 22 Oct 2020 01:05 AM PDT

    Hi all, I'm wondering if there's any way to get a more iOS-like desktop screen, with my software grouped and easily summoned? I currently have application folders that are sitting in the dock, but it's a lot more cumbersome than if I had an easy view of them on the desktop. My iOS / iPadOS setup makes heavy use of grouping together apps based on categories and I'd love to be able to replicate this to some extent on MacOS. I know I could just drag application folders with alias's onto the desktop, but I'm hoping for a more elegant solution.

    submitted by /u/angry_mike_smash
    [link] [comments]

    How do I get rid of this example/quick view of file thing? Thanks in advance :)

    Posted: 21 Oct 2020 01:42 PM PDT

    Running into an issue with second display

    Posted: 21 Oct 2020 08:35 PM PDT

    I am currently running a set up with a 34" ultrawide, and a 24" 16:10 that's in portrait orientation. The display menu doesn't give me the option to rotate the second screen, only the ultrawide.

    I am running this from a MacBook Air with a USB-C hub. I was using a different display in portrait mode a few weeks ago, but it seems this particular monitor is having issues.

    https://imgur.com/a/ECJn0jI

    I have tried holding down option + command while clicking on system preferences and displays, with no luck. I also tried Display Rotation Menu which seems to crash when I try to change the display of the second display.

    Has anyone run into a similar issue?

    submitted by /u/slashgw2
    [link] [comments]

    Unresponsive Apps after upgrading to 10.15.7

    Posted: 21 Oct 2020 12:47 PM PDT

    I have a March 2015 Macbook Pro (A1502) and it's been working great on Catalina until I upgraded to 10.15.7 a few weeks ago.

    Since then, I've had a lot of apps (even native ones like Spotlight and Finder) become unresponsive for 2-6 seconds, show the beachball, and then eventually come back. Chrome will randomly freeze or hitch for a second or two when scrolling. Some background apps consistently take 30-60 seconds to start when coming back from sleep (e.g. Better Touch Tool).

    It's starting to drive me batty. Has anyone else experienced this? I've heard a lot of people complain about Catalina bugs, but is there anything I can try to fix this? I've freed up disk space and ran the disk utility 'First Aid', which I think is just a SMART test, and everything came back fine.

    I've done multiple hard reboots, still pretty consistent. Do I just wait for Big Sur or join the beta?

    submitted by /u/guymon
    [link] [comments]

    I'm adding a second SSD to my iMac, will I be able to install windows on it?

    Posted: 21 Oct 2020 06:05 AM PDT

    So I'm going to add a second SSD (1 Tb) drive to my iMac. I'm planning to leave the first drive (256 Gb) as a main drive to boot OSX (don't want to bother with restoration from time machine, never done it) and I wonder will Boot Camp allow me to partition and install the windows on the second drive?

    submitted by /u/thecosss
    [link] [comments]

    Photo organization

    Posted: 21 Oct 2020 11:15 AM PDT

    Hey guys, I couldn't find any previous thread on this topic and hope someone could share their wisdom with me. This is kind of a basic question but here it goes: I bought an iMac with Catalina installed. Quite the update from my 2008 Macbook. As I have some spare time on my hand, I want to reorganize and especially label all of the photos that I collected over the years. Now the question: does anybody smarter than me have a good way of labeling their pictures with titles, description and tags? I want to start a system now, that I can continue in the future and want it to be logical and detailed. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/Dr_amatic123
    [link] [comments]

    Why does my keyboard not work during Facetime?

    Posted: 21 Oct 2020 09:58 AM PDT

    This only started happening recently and it's not even consistent. From time to time, if I'm on facetime on my mac, the keyboard stops functioning (for some reason, it still works in Spotlight) and I have to reboot. There's no consistency, it just stops working during a facetime call sometimes and it persists even if I quit facetime.

    Anybody know a solution?

    submitted by /u/demurefox97
    [link] [comments]

    Macbook air reboots randomly after battery change.

    Posted: 21 Oct 2020 09:57 AM PDT

    I recently replaced the bloated battery and trackpad ribbon on my macbook air. Ever since, it's been randomly rebooting.

    At first it looked like it was shutting down due to overheating but I've been monitoring the temps using Macs Fan Control and even when it's cool and not doing anything, it still reboots randomly every few hours (like if I leave it on when I fall asleep).

    Anybody know a solution?

    submitted by /u/demurefox97
    [link] [comments]

    Any current XFS/fuse plugin?

    Posted: 21 Oct 2020 05:43 AM PDT

    Is there an XFS/fuse plugin that works with recent XFS filesystem versions? The one available seems to be non-functioning for current XFS implementations (unable to mount partitions).

    submitted by /u/bsdooby
    [link] [comments]

    How to remove 2 NTFS partitions on Macbook and merge that into Mac partition?

    Posted: 21 Oct 2020 03:29 AM PDT

    My coworker just resigned from office 2 weeks ago, and his 2018 Macbook Pro was handed to me.

    I noticed that there are 2 NTFS partitions on it: 1 for Bootcamp, and 1 for temporary data backup (not OS). How to delete these 2 partitions and merge the free space back into current Mac partition?

    After some Googling, I guess the former can be done by using Bootcamp Assistant. But what about the later?

    submitted by /u/anta40
    [link] [comments]

    How do I get into making an app?

    Posted: 21 Oct 2020 08:49 AM PDT

    It would be for my personal use so it wouldn't go on the app store unless needed. I'm about to get my first Macbook so idk how to start. New to choosing as well. It would run exclusively on the macbook pro.

    submitted by /u/Annual_Cook4301
    [link] [comments]

    Launchpad lag on Big Sur and misc.

    Posted: 21 Oct 2020 06:40 AM PDT

    Anyone noticed the lag on scroll with Big Sur? So disappointed in my second Mac (2017 pro) first was a dream. Cannot wait for Apple Silicon. From FCPX killing my machine to battery and keyboard failings...

    submitted by /u/fthagod
    [link] [comments]

    All my Files from my desktop are gone help!!!!

    Posted: 21 Oct 2020 10:21 AM PDT

    Recently updated to Catalina on my imac. I store the majority of my files on my computer on the desktop. I had photos on there as well. I checked the box that said icloud drive and nothing changed. I then left it checked for about 20 mins and then I unchecked it as I didnt know what it was for. Once I unchecked it all of my photos disappeared from the desktop. These photos were in folders so I went back again and checked the box once more now icloud drive was on again. All the folders came back but the ones with the photos on them are now empty!! What do I do? Are they gone? They are not in the recycle bin, the folder is still there, but the contents are not!!

    submitted by /u/KristianArafat
    [link] [comments]

    Haven't updated in a while, should I?

    Posted: 21 Oct 2020 08:53 AM PDT

    Hi! For some reason I almost never update updates for everything. I have an MacBook Air (13-inch, 2017), and I'm on Sierra, 10.12.6. Am I missing out on things? The only reason why I was considering updating is because I want to download the newest Calibre version, and it's not compatible with my current version.

    Since I have finished my study, I actually only use it now for Microsoft Office, Netflix, and Googling around. I don't need to run heavy programs at the moment. Are there some things that I'm really missing now, or shall I just leave it as it is?

    submitted by /u/Soluri
    [link] [comments]

    Could you tell me a USB 5.0 that is compatible with MacOS? Thank you.

    Posted: 21 Oct 2020 02:35 AM PDT

    Could you tell me a Bluetooth 5.0 usb adapter for MACOS? Thank you.

    submitted by /u/victorsnk676
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel