• Breaking News

    Sunday, October 18, 2020

    Apple TV AppleTV app and Netflix

    Apple TV AppleTV app and Netflix


    AppleTV app and Netflix

    Posted: 17 Oct 2020 06:49 AM PDT

    Am I the only person who would use the AppleTV app 100x more if they were able to get Netflix to work with the recently watched shows??? It is such a handy feature, since I have AppleTV +, Disney +, Hulu and Netflix, but Netflix is the main streaming app I use and it turn makes the app useless for me.

    submitted by /u/icolinpro
    [link] [comments]

    Having trouble with YouTube and Airplay? Force quit the Podcasts app first

    Posted: 18 Oct 2020 03:18 AM PDT

    Something is funky with the Apple Podcasts app and Airplay, and has been for a while. Historically, it's never played nice with YouTube; if the podcasts app was the last thing playing audio, it tends to still be the "active audio" source in iOS, even if you're literally now playing a YouTube video.

    Since iOS 14 I've had a real annoying time trying to airplay YouTube to my Apple TV, even though I have YouTube Premium and background play enabled. The screen flickers black multiple times, sometimes resets the video to the beginning, and stops playing if I lock my phone.

    But - I've found that if I:

    1. Turn off Airplay
    2. Force quit both the Podcasts app and YouTube
    3. Then open YouTube and attempt to Airplay,

    it works flawlessly - I can lock my phone, have full access to the keypad controls, and reopen the YouTube app without having the video reset or stop playing.

    Hopefully this helps someone - I always thought this was a YouTube issue but I don't think it is. I think something's wrong with the Podcasts app (ie this doesn't happen with Music, Spotify or any other audio-playing app I have).

    EDIT: you'll also need to make sure that Airplay is off before you open YouTube. Something about the Podcasts app really screws up Airplay's state - you'll notice that if you're airplaying successfully to YouTube and then open the Podcasts app, it'll be messed up until Airplay is turned off and the Podcasts app is completely quit.

    submitted by /u/nicrotex
    [link] [comments]

    4K content throttled, low quality, on apples end?

    Posted: 17 Oct 2020 10:07 PM PDT

    My internet is 400mbps and router high end netgear, speed test even now shows all is well in the home.

    Never had this happen but watching purchased 4K movie (hunger games mockingjay part 2) and it started nice and sharp like everything else, but halfway through got soft like a bad blu ray - as if the video switched to low bandwidth.

    Even my wife noticed and she's not into this. Anyone else experienced this?

    submitted by /u/filmguy123
    [link] [comments]

    Amazon Prime Music on Apple TV?

    Posted: 17 Oct 2020 05:37 PM PDT

    Hi, can we download amazon Prime music on Apple TV? Thanks!

    submitted by /u/margordo1
    [link] [comments]

    AirPlay audio output connection issues

    Posted: 18 Oct 2020 02:01 AM PDT

    Since the update from 14 Beta to "stable" my Sonos speaker's connection drops regularly when being used as audio output for Apple TV. I don't have issues airplaying audio from my phone to the speaker. It's only with the TV. Anybody else having issues?

    submitted by /u/gnyvie
    [link] [comments]

    Missing Apple TV content (AppleTV 4K)

    Posted: 18 Oct 2020 01:37 AM PDT

    Am I Missing something? Or is my Apple TV app broken?

    When I go into "Watch Now" > Apple TV plus, or Channels Apple TV that's all I see.

    I have to search for content to play it.

    submitted by /u/MarkLofthouse
    [link] [comments]

    Apple 4k TV 32GB, no 4k option on new 4k UHD.

    Posted: 17 Oct 2020 10:15 PM PDT

    Is this an HDMI cable issue, or does the apple tv 4k not work on UHD's? Thanks!

    submitted by /u/whosjellisnow
    [link] [comments]

    I’m using my phone to AirPlay Hulu, but it drops when I open text or any other app.

    Posted: 17 Oct 2020 07:21 PM PDT

    So I'm using airplay to watch Hulu from my iPhone XR. When I have Hulu open it works fine, but if the screen locks or I respond to a text, it drops out. Is there a way to fix this? Or am I kind of SoL on this?

    submitted by /u/CrimsonProletariat
    [link] [comments]

    4th Gen Apple TV - audio is fine, picture is black

    Posted: 17 Oct 2020 03:32 PM PDT

    Resolved, it was the TV, not Apple.

    I have a 4th Gen Apple TV and a TCL Roku TV. Everything worked fine and dandy until two days ago. I turned on both the TV and the Apple TV (light was on), and the screen was black.

    I hadn't made any changes to the set-up or even touched either device since it had last worked. And the TV screen still otherwise works.

    As I was pressing buttons on the Apple TV remote to try to get the picture to come up, I accidentally turned on voice controls. And I was able to navigate to different apps and the sound was coming through my TV. But the picture was still blank. Meaning the Apple TV was plugged in correctly, and I had the right input on my TV.

    I tried changing HDMI inputs, same result. Audio was fine, picture was missing. I decided to do a factory reset on the Apple TV to see if it was a software issue (I was able to do this using voice controls to go through the steps). This didn't work. Screen still black.

    So I ordered a new HDMI cable. It arrived today. And the screen is STILL black. UGH.

    Anyone have any other ideas I could try? I just find it strange that the Apple TV seems to be transmitting everything but the picture. Hardware failure?

    Thanks in advance

    submitted by /u/Jenikovista
    [link] [comments]

    Netflix App crashes immediately

    Posted: 17 Oct 2020 08:33 AM PDT

    Hello.

    Since today my netflix app closes immediately after opening. Less than a second after. This is an AppleTV 4K. I removed and reinstalled the Netflix app, without luck. Also updated tvOS to 14.0.2 (18J411).

    I imagined something happened with the service, but noticed that the built-in app in the smarttv works OK. I also tried in an iPhone and iPad and it works in both as well without issues.

    The AppleTV is able to open the app, as if I remove and redownload it I can get as far as starting my session. After entering the password it crashes again. It seems to be able to run because the topshelf is being updated with netflix shows (but not the ones we're watching).

    Has this happened to anybody else before? I tried searching but couldn't find similar reports.

    submitted by /u/eduo
    [link] [comments]

    Is ATV overkill on TVs that don't support 4k?

    Posted: 17 Oct 2020 10:51 AM PDT

    Replaced a Firestick with an ATV 4K on our main TV (OLED). Like it a lot. But I have a couple other TVS in the house which use Firesticks. Would rather have an ATV on them but it seems kind of expensive in relation to a Firesticks or Rokus. Would ATV on these TVs be overkill?

    submitted by /u/redflagdan52
    [link] [comments]

    What Live TV Streaming service has the best picture quality?

    Posted: 17 Oct 2020 10:53 AM PDT

    I have the latest Apple TV hardware. I have a 4K HDR TV. I have a hardwired connection to 1Gbps fiber. I've been subscribing to YouTube TV and the BEST picture quality I can get is a pretty pixel-tastic 720p.

    I poked around on other subreddits, asked "what device has best picture quality for YouTube TV. Hands down the answer was Roku so I ordered their 4K box for $80.

    Surprise surprise, it's the exact same. So maybe it's just YouTube TV? I don't have quality issues on Netflix or Disney+. Now I'm left wondering if I should switch to Sling? Hulu with Live TV? Input appreciated!

    Thank you!

    submitted by /u/A-D-V-E-N-T-U-R-E
    [link] [comments]

    Am I supposed to turn HDR on on both Apple TV settings and TV settings?

    Posted: 17 Oct 2020 06:28 AM PDT

    I'm asking because when I turn my Apple TV it does say HDR10 on a little box that pops up. Even if I have HDR on or off on the tv settings (on on Apple TV). But if I turn the HDR on tv settings on, it does change the way it looks.

    So I can have Apple TV HDR on (menu looks white) Settings on TV SmartHDR on, menu has a yellowish tint to it.

    So turn HDR on both or just one?

    Thank you.

    submitted by /u/Matuteg
    [link] [comments]

    How can I fix this?

    Posted: 17 Oct 2020 09:38 AM PDT

    Can’t add ATV4k to my home

    Posted: 17 Oct 2020 08:00 AM PDT

    Exactly one week ago, my Apple TV 4K seems to have just forgotten that it was my home hub. I tried to reconnect it to my home and select a room, but it doesn't seem to be able to load the list of rooms, and then just displays the defaults. I did a factory reset, but the same thing still happens. I upgraded to OS 14.2 beta, which didn't help either. Oddly, my older ATV4 did not experience this failure and is still connected. Has anyone else seen this?

    submitted by /u/211774310
    [link] [comments]

    A List of Apple TV/TV App/TV+ Complaints

    Posted: 17 Oct 2020 10:38 AM PDT

    Can't turn off "auto-play next episode" in TV app (you can dismiss by pressing the menu button on remote, but if you live with someone who falls asleep watching TV?)

    "Auto-Play Video Previews: Off" hidden in "Settings: Accessibility: Motion" (should be "Settings: Apps: TV")

    Show/movie info should be returned to "swipe down for info" menu

    Menu button should exit video rather than being captured by show/movie "info pop-up" menu (pressing menu twice exits) (could exit to "episodes/info/extras", as opposed to pressing home button, which exits to "up next" by default)

    Menu button should be renamed back button

    No way to dismiss "info pop-up" menu (or keep it from timing out) (swiping down twice should dismiss it)

    Episode season/number should be included in show info menu/pop-up (like Netflix)

    Should not put things viewer may want to skip before "original" videos (skip should be reserved for third party shows with legacy intros/recaps)

    Should definitely not put trailers before videos (Netflix doesn't)

    Should probably not change history to "cancel" German-American rocket scientists

    Should consider firing Oprah for spouting non-empirical race theories and promotion of writers of race hate

    Would probability prefer they not make the Reefer Madness of workplace relationships (woman in late 30s cast as ingenue?)

    Should not show dubbing end-credits unless you're watching a dubbed version (and then only show that version's credits)

    Why is Netflix fully integrated with the new Google TV's Watchlist and Continue Watching but not Apple TV's Up Next? (!!!) (And now totally not integrated with the TV app?) (!!!) (Netflix is probably holding out as a negotiating tactic because of the App Store signup process)

    Criterion Collection app should be integrated with the TV app (this sucks most for search, before Criterion was added to HBO Max, if a movie was only on Criterion you wouldn't know you could watch it on Apple TV) (bad experience)

    No live TV guide / local channel integration

    Channels app is good (doesn't work with airplay speakers though) but Apple TV should be able to receive local broadcast channels without third party app (ATSC 3.0?)

    Should make router with HDHomeRun-like function built in (ideally there would be modem/router combo option also) (HDHomeRun reportedly has faster channel switching than Tablo/Recast due to not transcoding)

    Should make antenna jack dongle for Apple TV

    Should unbundle live local channels from subscription live-TV package (subscribe to just the over-the-top versions of live local TV for $5-$10 a month)

    Should make or work with third party to make perfectly calibrated large TV display for external Apple TV device (no preinstalled smart crap, perhaps no speakers)

    Should make line of integrated small screen Apple TV "smart screen" devices for kitchen counter/garage/kids/dorm (alternatively make a remote compatible with a larger 15/16 inch iPad, perhaps with optional speaker dock)

    Should make Sonos soundbar competitor (ideally one that can double as TV stand for Apple display, rather than having user need to figure out placement/mounting logistics or need a pro install).

    Where is Apple TV 6? (A14X, HDMI 2.1, WiFi 6E, ATSC 3.0)

    (ATV6 not really late—3-4 years between major design revisions historically vs 1-2 for "spec bumps")

    Remote ideally should be seamless (fingernail sized crack in side of Siri remote is less than great), ergonomic, still simple enough to be used without looking (i.e. while looking at screen rather than remote), even easier to tell top from bottom in dark (white ring helped a little), waterproof, ceramic shield, have dedicated skip buttons, no trashy dedicated streaming service buttons (they complicate remote, are easy to accidentally press, may not be the service you want, crass)

    Ideally should have first party d-pad remote alternative (for more precise navigation)

    (Samsung's "OneRemote" was pretty good before they junked it up by adding streaming service buttons (https://cms.qz.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/MU_Remote_004_Dynamic_Black-e1553882386942.jpg?quality=75&strip=all&w=700&h=502&crop=1), but LG's "Magic Remote" is a Frankenstein monster of cursor, d-pad, and scroll wheel)

    Why is skip 10 seconds on Apple TV's Siri Remote but 15 seconds on iOS/iPadOS? (at least when skipping from a Smart Connector keyboard's arrow keys it should be 10 seconds like Siri Remote IMO)

    Should probably at least have option to turn on device by pressing any button on device remote (especially on remotes without dedicated on/off ("power") buttons)

    Cast/crew should at least be split into two lines (should not have to swipe forever to access writer/director)

    Cast/crew info generally inferior to IMDB/Prime Video (Cinematographer info missing entirely: Lubezki who just shot video for Apple has no entry; score composers inclusion spotty; individual episode casts usually not available even for Apple's own shows)

    No competitor to Prime Video x-ray (which is no longer available on Apple TV)

    No TV shows besides Apple TV Plus have trailers in TV app (bad experience)

    iTunes TV has trailers but will add show to your library if try to watch one

    Can't hide library items from Apple TV!

    Can't hide library items from iOS/iPadOS!! (Need a Mac/iTunes for Windows!!!)

    Should consider making daily video news brief/report/broadcast (no ads)

    Should consider purchase of (or partnership with) the CBS, NBC or Fox TV network (Fox doesn't currently produce a nightly network news broadcast and TV network could give Apple foothold in local news, high quality local news could be key differentiator for Apple) (on the other hand Apple is a global company and probably won't be producing news for China market anytime soon) (could give Apple leverage in negotiating for Sports (and other Live TV) content)

    No first party game controller

    No clickable weather app/widget (Siri weather pop-up does not include post-Dark Sky weather app improvements)

    No clickable sports scores/standings app/widget (also sucks on iPhone, iPad, Mac)

    Want good but simple sports app/widget with no ads. Scores/stats/standings/schedule (including TV) (Could maybe have option to buy tickets to local games)

    TV Siri sports score pop-up is poorly formatted (e.g. "Rays at Astros 3-4")

    (Maybe add weather/sports buttons/ widgets to control center?)

    No native Safari (must use Aiplay)

    (Although more muted in TVOS 14) Can't turn off (disable) picture-in-picture (the pop-up that blocks the screen can be annoying and I've clicked it accidentally more than once (although not since updating to 14)

    Time remaining disappears before the end of the video (can be annoying if you're watching a long movie—with considerable time remaining)

    Device LED light can be annoying (should turn off x seconds after wake, if it's important to include)

    Should add HDMI-in port to ATV6A14 (and/or maybe a HDMI multi port switcher dongle)

    Should have option to delete (hidden) purchase/rental/(inactive) subscription/(removed) app history after one year for enhanced privacy

    No HDMI-in port

    10 episodes per year of Mythic Quest is probably not enough

    Ted Lasso probably would have been better (and less cloying) as a 2 hour movie (or alternatively by replacing cringe humor (e.g. Scorsese oeuvre bit with educational information about rules/nuances/strategy/history/ reasons for playing/reasons for love of game of soccer) (Leaning in to "Major League" movie premise resemblance another option)

    Let us see "Vital Signs"

    Why are streaming TV show and Movie end-credits generally still so different?

    submitted by /u/Actual_Food_1225
    [link] [comments]

    Black screen for Apple TV music (rant incoming)

    Posted: 17 Oct 2020 06:23 AM PDT

    Seriously. Apple TV Apple Music is horrendous. When I listen to music, I don't want a generic offensive multicoloured screen, with or maybe not with lyrics on the screen.

    How hard is it to just have an option to make the screen black? Most people have the tv through hdmi cec so surely they know this is a thing?

    How can there be a paid,premium service that doesn't take into account this super simple use case? I want to listen to my playlists without anything on the screen. I live in Melbourne, aus and we have had the most harsh lockdown ever and all I want to do is play music on my main tv. It lights the room up with random colours and random ui - I just want music through my speakers via tv!

    Please make the screen black AND less offensive apple. Please.

    submitted by /u/FickleLife
    [link] [comments]

    Unable to install new TVos on Apple TV

    Posted: 17 Oct 2020 05:25 AM PDT

    i made a post earlier how i was unable to update my appleTV software.

    someone told me to update through itunes. i still get a message that "the download was corrupted". i run a 5g network in my home with a pretty fast internet, so that can't be the problem. anyone have any more help to offer?

    Original post: https://www.reddit.com/r/appletv/comments/jaas3p/unable_to_install_update_help_needed/

    submitted by /u/hajfiskeri
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel