• Breaking News

    Saturday, January 5, 2019

    macOS Why was my external monitor having issues until I used a DisplayPort to MiniDisplay Port?

    macOS Why was my external monitor having issues until I used a DisplayPort to MiniDisplay Port?


    Why was my external monitor having issues until I used a DisplayPort to MiniDisplay Port?

    Posted: 04 Jan 2019 09:19 PM PST

    This could be in /r/mac as well, but after doing a lot of searching on Google, Mojave might also be a reason I was having issues, so I thought it was worth asking here.

    Computer running Mojave: Macbook Pro Retina 13-inch, Early 2015

    Processor: 2.7 GHz Intel Core i%

    Memory: 8 GB

    I just got a Dell U2717D external monitor that supports 2560x1440 resolution. First, I had to install this driver in order to even get an image on the monitor. Then, I ran into resolution issues.

    When I plugged in this monitor with my HDMI-to-Mini DisplayPort, the resolution was awfully fuzzy and nowhere near the native 2560x1440 resolution of the monitor. Luckily, Dell gave me a DisplayPort-to-MiniDisplayPort that I plugged in and got the monitor firing up in the correct resolution.

    But, I'm a little confused/concerned.

    First, according to the specs on my MacBook Pro, the HDMI video output supports:

    • 1080p resolution at up to 60Hz

    • 3840-by-2160 resolution at 30Hz

    • 4096-by-2160 resolution at 24Hz

    So, what gives? Why did I initially have to switch over to the DisplayPort to begin with?

    Also, am I going to run into monitor issues with this thing? The U2717D is super nice, but if it's going to be difficult to maintain down the road, what's the point? At the end of the day, I just need a monitor to display my screen. This was a luxury, but it already felt like somewhat of a chore to configure a very simply external display.

    submitted by /u/FungoGolf
    [link] [comments]

    Show Desktop

    Posted: 04 Jan 2019 07:22 PM PST

    Hello All,

    I've been using MacOS for a few months now. One annoyance I have currently is not having an obvious way to just show my desktop when I have a ton of windows open like Windows does. The only way I've found to quickly navigate to my desktop is to minimize every window. It works, but it's super slow!

    On top of that, if I Cmd+Tab back to the window I want to use after it's been minimized I still have to click on the icon in the dock to get the window back.

    Any keyboard shortcuts or even apps that might be of assistance here that anyone knows about? Appreciate the help!

    submitted by /u/lost12487
    [link] [comments]

    Will I be able to watch protected content on my dual-display mini if only one of the displays is HDCP compliant?

    Posted: 04 Jan 2019 06:34 PM PST

    I have a 2012 Mac Mini connected to a 27" Asus display with HDCP and Netflix works fine in Safari, etc.

    I also have an old 2005 23" Apple Cinema Display which is not HDCP compliant. I don't currently have the correct adapters to plug them both in at the same time, but I'm wondering if I did, would it prevent HDCP content entirely, or only on the non-compliant display?

    submitted by /u/mveinot
    [link] [comments]

    How do you get macOS to stop asking you if you want updates?

    Posted: 04 Jan 2019 08:58 AM PST

    I thought I saw a link before, but I can't find it now. I don't want to be asked every day about updates.

    submitted by /u/KarlJay001
    [link] [comments]

    Is it possible to show a different folder (other than the desktop folder) on your desktop?

    Posted: 04 Jan 2019 03:41 PM PST

    This might be a silly question, but is there a way to render a different folder's contents to your actual desktop? I know the desktop folder is linked to what you see on the screen, but if I wanted to see ONLY applications folder on my desktop, would there be a way to do that? Could you make a symbolic link from the desktop folder to the applications folder? I'd love the ability to choose what I see on the desktop dynamically to declutter/focus my workspace.

    submitted by /u/tangerto
    [link] [comments]

    [High Sierra] MX Master scroll wheel stopped working today, already googled and tried everything I could find.

    Posted: 04 Jan 2019 09:13 AM PST

    Already looked through this post: https://www.reddit.com/r/MacOS/comments/8ubvlh/mojave_beta_logitech_mx_master_scroll_does_not/

    Everyone seems to be having this problem on Mojave, but I'm still on High Sierra and after a Logitech Options update today my scroll wheel is unresponsive.

    I've uninstalled and reinstalled and restarted my system. a few times. The scroll wheel doesn't work even when I uninstall Options now. The main fix everyone points to seems to be this:

    Launch System Preferences ->Security & Privacy

    Click on 'Privacy' tab

    Click on 'Accessibility' on the left

    Click on lock at the bottom left corner and enter your password

    Check 'Logitech Options Daemon'

    After you grant accessibility access to 'Logitech Options Daemon,' reboot your system for all options supported features to work.

    But I am stuck here. Once I get to Accessibility, 'Logitech Options Daemon' is missing/not listed. Options is definitely installed, I can open it from Applications or the preference pane. It seems like the app is installed but the "daemon" is missing. I'm stuck! Any tips/advice would be greatly appreciated!

    submitted by /u/shentheory
    [link] [comments]

    Any way to disable this "More" section? It's blocking much more useful information from being shown.

    Posted: 04 Jan 2019 11:17 AM PST

    Bootcamp - default startup disk changes

    Posted: 04 Jan 2019 03:06 PM PST

    I recently installed Windows 10 via Bootcamp. I have the Mac partition set as the default in System Preferences. When I do boot into windows, it somehow changes my default startup drive. It will default to Windows until I hold down option, manually boot into macOS, and change my startup disk back to Macintosh.

    Anyone else experience this or know what to do? I feel like there's got to be something out there, but perhaps I'm not typing the right thing in search boxes, so I figured I'd ask here.

    submitted by /u/Ellawell
    [link] [comments]

    Transferring adobe licenses and MS Word, Excell, PPT licenses between macs

    Posted: 04 Jan 2019 10:19 AM PST

    Hi all,

    After looking around on the internet for a while, I've gotten stumped.

    I was trying to back up my old computer to my new one through Time Machine, but right as it was finished it said many files were not able to go through for some reason. This resulting in apps like: Lightroom, Photoshop and Microsoft Word, Excell and PPT not being able to work correctly. All their information was saved to the previous computer and also to an external hard drive. I just want to have that information transferred somehow, so that I can use the apps just like I was before I got this new computer.

    TM/Migration Assistant is not helping me with these and I don't know how to make these apps work.

    Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/mrmadster23
    [link] [comments]

    Help

    Posted: 04 Jan 2019 02:03 PM PST

    Can Microsoft office be installed on Mountain Lion? Scared of losing battery longevity if I update my 2013 MacBook Air

    Also, will an update affect my battery life as I've assumed

    submitted by /u/cizooh
    [link] [comments]

    MacOS App stuck at "Downloading..."

    Posted: 04 Jan 2019 01:43 PM PST

    Hey there!

    MacOS 10.14.2

    MBP 15" Late 2013

    For the last 4+ hours I have been trying to download AeroFly FS2 from the Mac Appstore.

    I download the file (11.13GB), it downloads 100% and then gets stuck there.

    After a few minutes the Game disappears from the Launchpad and I have to download it again.

    I tried everything:

    • deleting the Appstore cache
    • deleting the Appstore preferences
    • reparing the drive with first aid with the disk utility
    • signing out and in the appstore
    • setting up a new user account and trying to download it there
    • downgrade from macOS Beta to the latest public release

    I really don't know what to do else. Maybe you can help me?

    submitted by /u/memaxwell
    [link] [comments]

    My Macbook Pro Is Slow With Two external 4k Monitors, Can I Use An eGPU To Speed It Up?

    Posted: 04 Jan 2019 02:53 AM PST

    TL;DR below.

    I have a 2015 Macbook Pro 15" with the AMD 270x 2GB, 2.8Ghz quad core i7 and 16GB RAM. When using my two 4k external monitors over thunderbolt/DP and the built in display I occasionally experience system freezes and general slowness. Most of the time the system is perfectly stable, fast and fine but perhaps every 15-30 minutes some weird stuff happens. I NEVER game and only use the laptop for general software development, web browsing, email, etc. very light graphics demands. Watching Netflix is probably the most graphically intense thing I do.

    I'm quite certain that the freezes are due to using two 4k monitors and the built in display. I'm not sure if they are due to the GPU running out of vRam or processing demands exceeding processing power, but would like to know.

    TLDR: Can I purchase an eGPU to help my 2015 Macbook Pro drive 2x 4k monitors and the built in display without freezes? If so what is the cheapest eGPU that's compatible with Mac OS? I have an old AMD GPU that might be compatible or I'll have to buy something to put in the eGPU.

    submitted by /u/EverythingElectronic
    [link] [comments]

    High Sierra in VMWare - SSD / HD issue

    Posted: 04 Jan 2019 09:17 AM PST

    Today I got message in VMWare at startup: CPU has been disabled by guest OS.

    I have High Sierra in VMWare, or I should say I have two. One on my SSD and one on the second disk, real spinning hard drive. The message appeared as I was starting the copy on the spinning HD. Moved back a copy I made few weeks ago, managed to start it now, reinstalled something I installed yesterday and after reboot I got the same message again.

    Long story short, if I install something on the HD copy, it breaks. I can do whatever I want on the copy on SSD and it works just fine. I had that second copy on real HD and it worked for months as I was not installing anything there.

    The HD copy is just a drag&drop copy from virtual machine I created on SSD a year ago. It was sierra back then, then I did an update to high sierra, os installer converted disk image from HFS to AFS because that's what HighSierra installer does when it sees SSD, sure yes.

    But as it seems if I copy that disk image to another disk, a spinning disk then something breaks and that virtual machine becomes unusable after any kind of install.

    I tried installing a few different things, even reinstalling VMWare tools and each time after restart virtual machine stops at boot with the message: CPU has been disabled by guest OS. And that's it. Can't make it to work again.

    Can someone confirm this? Does anyone have a solution to this? Any ideas?

    submitted by /u/idelovski
    [link] [comments]

    Occasional ping spiking or packet loss while gaming.

    Posted: 04 Jan 2019 12:23 PM PST

    • 11-inch Macbook Air, Early 2015
    • 1.6 Ghz i5
    • 4 GB ram
    • Running Mojave 10.14.2

    I started gaming on the macbook recently. It's so small and light, I can do it on the sofa which is nice. I'm playing an online multiplayer game (World of Tanks Blitz, if this is relevant) but I occasionally get these persistent ping spikes from the regular 70-90 to 250-500 every few minutes, sometimes with the packet loss indicator popping up. It doesn't happen when I switch to the same game on a windows laptop, so I'm pretty sure the issue is with the macbook. (Edit: I've also made sure every other internet device in the house was disabled)

    Nothing else is running (as far as I can tell) and automatic updates for both the app store and OS are disabled. I'm a lifelong windows user and a complete noob to macOS, so I don't know where to start when figuring this out. Any help appreciated!

    submitted by /u/HugGigolo
    [link] [comments]

    Intel HD 6100 Driver Windows Black Screen

    Posted: 04 Jan 2019 10:33 AM PST

    Having this issue with Macbook Pro 2017 and no idea how to solve it.

    Windows is installed using bootcamp, and it loads to a black screen but you can see the Windows did load as keyboard, sounds, all things are there.

    I booted into safe mode and did rollback on graphics card driver and then the screen works fine. But moment I run windows update the screen will go all black again at boot.

    Tried many things, have completely removed windows using bootcamp and reinstalled it but face the same issue.

    Any idea how to resolve this issue?

    submitted by /u/cartoon_soldier
    [link] [comments]

    AdBlock for macOS Mojave [Jan. 2019]

    Posted: 04 Jan 2019 04:31 AM PST

    hi, I am using a 2015 13" MacBook Pro and I have been using AdBlock plus for a long time. Somehow I did not hear the news about AdBlock plus collecting data from the users, but nevermind.

    problem:

    Since a few days I have the problem, that I cannot use youtube properly with safari. For example when I activate full screen mode the fps of the video drop to 0 for like 5 seconds until the full screen mode activates in a laggy way. [I hope you know what I try to describe.] In addition to this, the website is loading very slowly and there is a huge delay in everything what I do on the youtube page [rainbow colored loading circle of macOS].

    I tried out Ka-Block!, because it should work like the safari content-blocking-mechanisms and indeed youtube is loading faster, but it does not work effective enough. I see ads before a video for example. Does anybody have any suggestions for a good, free AdBlocker?

    Thank you!

    submitted by /u/xNiceForWhat
    [link] [comments]

    Automatically turn bluetooth off?

    Posted: 04 Jan 2019 07:48 AM PST

    Hey everyone - I'm looking for a way to automatically turn bluetooth off / disconnect Magic Mouse when I unplug my MBP from power. We have a meeting room next to my desk and it keeps the mouse connected despite me being away from my desk and not having the mouse with me.

    submitted by /u/SUPREME_EMPRESS
    [link] [comments]

    Error Emoji question mark in Message, Safari, Terminal app. MacOS High Sierra 10.13.6

    Posted: 04 Jan 2019 04:37 AM PST

    Error Emoji question mark in Message, Safari, Terminal app. MacOS High Sierra 10.13.6

    I have search through apple support site and try many methods but there is no luck.

    There are some (most of) emoji is not displayed correctly. It shows question mark instead.

    Is there anyone face this issue and know how to fix it? Thank you very much.

    In Safari with 9gag site.

    https://i.redd.it/rs335nn8ie821.png

    I check in terminal as well

    https://i.redd.it/ewxmc5phie821.png

    submitted by /u/quyleanh
    [link] [comments]

    Native way to connect bluetooth hardware to macbook?

    Posted: 04 Jan 2019 04:24 AM PST

    I have a bluetooth keyboard and mice, both MacOS compatible (but not made by apple). But if i try to connect them with native «bluetooth settings way» they are invisible to my Macbook, so i need to connect this huge hub with their bluetooth adapters. Is there any way to use them without these adapters?

    submitted by /u/tbrachkoff
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel