• Breaking News

    Thursday, October 17, 2019

    iPhone Daily Tech Support Thread - [October 17]

    iPhone Daily Tech Support Thread - [October 17]


    Daily Tech Support Thread - [October 17]

    Posted: 16 Oct 2019 09:07 PM PDT

    Welcome to the Daily Tech Support thread for /r/iphone.

    Have a question you need answered? Ask away! Please remember to adhere to our rules, which can be found in the sidebar. As usual, if you have a serious issue with the subreddit, please contact the moderators directly.

    Please be informed that any questions about bypassing iCloud lock, or anything similar that may infer that you are trying to get access to a locked iPhone, are no longer allowed and will be removed. Thank you.

    Join our Discord room for support:

    Discord

    Note: Comments are sorted by /new for your convenience.

    This is the previous archive of all previous "Daily Tech Support" threads. This is best viewed on a browser. If on mobile, type on the searchbar [title:"Daily Tech Support Thread" author:"AutoModerator"] (without the brackets, and including the quotation marks around the title and author.)

    Here is a previous archive of all previous "Weekly Tech Support" threads, which has now changed to Daily Tech Support Thread. This is best viewed on a browser. If on mobile, type on the searchbar [title:"Weekly Tech Support Thread" author:"AutoModerator"] (without the brackets, and including the quotation marks around the title and author.)

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    iOS 13 already on 55% of iPhones, iPadOS on 41% of iPads

    Posted: 17 Oct 2019 05:33 AM PDT

    iPhone 11 Pro Graphics Performance Tests Show a Massive 60% Improvement Thanks to New A13 Bionic

    Posted: 16 Oct 2019 02:22 PM PDT

    Google Photos loophole on iOS | Unlimited Storage!

    Posted: 17 Oct 2019 01:14 PM PDT

    Tip: if your phone runs hot after using it for awhile continuously, turn low power mode on and it goes back to comfortable temperature very fast and you can’t tell the difference in performance unless you are doing something really power intensive.

    Posted: 17 Oct 2019 02:01 AM PDT

    iOS multitasking?

    Posted: 16 Oct 2019 08:33 PM PDT

    iPhone XR/11 color rarity in my experience

    Posted: 16 Oct 2019 10:34 PM PDT

    Red: Very common

    Black/White: Common

    Literally every other color: Legendary

    submitted by /u/JanaKata
    [link] [comments]

    Can I charge AirPods gen.2 with 18w Apple fast charger, using Lightening to Type-C cable?

    Posted: 17 Oct 2019 01:03 AM PDT

    ESR cases for iphone 11 / Pro Max. My thoughts / review

    Posted: 16 Oct 2019 06:40 PM PDT

    Recently got an iphone 11 for work and sister bought the Pro Max and found out about ESR cases. Here are my thoughts on them. NOT getting paid for this. Just a fan of the product.

    The Essential clear case is like any other basic clear case but i think it feels thinner yet tough compared to other brand clear cases. Haven't had it long enough to know whether it'll turn yellow or not but so far no signs of yellow-ing. Thin too!

    The Yippee red color soft case for my 11 is really nice. Its a "watermelon" red and really soft to the touch. I use this mostly whenever I want to match what im wearing. Nice overall.

    I'm glad I went with the Mimic Skyfire Tempered glass case. A little bit pricier than the other cases but it has a nice premium feel to is. The skyfire color is a two-tone color. Blue on top, pinkish on the bottom. Kinda like the sky i suppose. Kinda hides the color of my iPhone in a bit but that's ok. Now I don't know if its actual glass but it dies feel like it. I use this for whenever go out. I really like this one alot!

    For my sister's pro max she got the Metro Premium Black Leather case. She said she really like it. Its pretty slim, has a premium leather feel and soft on the inside. Not sure why it needs to be soft on the inside but not complaining. She really likes the feel of it. Super sleek. She gives it a 9 out of 10.

    The other case that she got was the clear Metal kickstand case. Its her everyday work case cause she can sit it up whenever she watches movies during her lunch, etc. Said it has a great feel to is as well. 9/10 from what she told me.

    Check out the ESR website if you're interested. They have tempered glasses and chargers available as well. I just went with the cases. If you're not interested, then good luck.

    I could post try to pics but its not any different from what it looks like on the website (and website shows better pics anyway) and again, i'm not getting paid for this nor am I receiving any compensations. If I believe in something, ill spread the good word to others. :)

    submitted by /u/BigHeroBaymax
    [link] [comments]

    A little thing that I found in the iPhone XR ad. This if from the ad for the Xr ad with all the people running, and sense I first saw this ad, I thought these colors were a bit out of place. As it turns out, these were the new iPhone 11 colors

    Posted: 16 Oct 2019 05:36 PM PDT

    Raise to wake on or off on your iPhone?

    Posted: 17 Oct 2019 12:05 AM PDT

    Hey ya'll just got an iPhone 11 Pro Max upgraded from an iPhone 7 and I'm curious if you guys use raise to wake on your phone. Does it save a lot of battery turning it off? What do you all do?

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/Switch899
    [link] [comments]

    Does anyone have details on the AT&T sunset and which iPhones are affected?

    Posted: 16 Oct 2019 11:17 PM PDT

    AT&T is kinda unclear about where they draw the line between 3G/3.5G/3G+/4G/etc. It appears they're killing "3G" in Feb of 2020, but I'm not sure on a technical level what that means. Like, are we talking HSUA? HSDPA+? UMTS? I'm trying to figure out which older iPhones will no longer work. Initially I'm guessing everything from the 4S and older, but I'd like confirmation that they're not also killing some of the LTE bands or something.

    submitted by /u/sneakertech
    [link] [comments]

    In iOS13 there’s no way to destructively trim a video.

    Posted: 16 Oct 2019 10:31 PM PDT

    This means a lot of wasted storage, especially for slow motion videos where I might only want to keep a couple of seconds from a clip several minutes long. Is there am I missing something?

    submitted by /u/Hamspankin
    [link] [comments]

    Has anyone tried buying an iphone outside their country cause its cheaper?

    Posted: 16 Oct 2019 10:46 PM PDT

    I noticed that the price of the iphones in the US apple store is SO MUCH cheaper that im tempted to buy online and deliver it here. Hell, even if i pay for the tax and shipping, it still adds up to be cheaper in the US

    Do you think its worth it? Would there be a risk of the phone not working in my country or the warranty being voided?

    submitted by /u/ym_salute
    [link] [comments]

    Wider Wireless Charger for 11?

    Posted: 16 Oct 2019 11:24 PM PDT

    I have an Anker wireless charger that I've had for years (bought at the same time as my 8). I find it's pretty easy to miss the sweet spot for charging though. Can anyone recommend a decent alternative that's got a wider charging area?

    submitted by /u/Drygioni
    [link] [comments]

    Is this a known bug with voice dictation in iMessage? “Waveforms” do not move when enabled and speech recognition is terrible. Closing and reopening Messages fixes it.

    Posted: 16 Oct 2019 08:19 PM PDT

    iPhone 11 Fast Charger

    Posted: 16 Oct 2019 07:59 PM PDT

    I'll soon be getting an iPhone 11. It's sad that they ship it with a 5W charger. Wanted to buy an upgrade.

    Was confused between getting the 18W vs 30W. I mean, ofcourse, 30W will charge it much faster. But is there any adverse effect of using 30W?

    What would you recommend? The charger will be my daily charger. I do not charge my phones overnight though.

    submitted by /u/kushpvo
    [link] [comments]

    Iphone 11 display FAQs

    Posted: 16 Oct 2019 09:50 PM PDT

    I use an android phone that has a really good 1080p lcd with great blacks and sharpness. But it lacks Dolby support, hdr support and also the max brightness is quite less.

    So i was looking to upgrade to iphone 11 but have following concerns:-

    1) support for dolby atmos and vision? Is there ? Supported apps n content? 2)hdr support on Netflix, prime video and YouTube. I heard it can play 1080p on YouTube, can it play hdr content on the listed apps? 3)all videos play onside the notch on iPhone 11? From gallery to streaming to twitch all will play full screen! ? Even games right like call of duty , pubg, vainglory etc right? 4)i am a speaker person, are the speakers good? 5)can it shoot video in 19:9? Or only 16:9? Since there is ultra wide i m confused about the aspect ratios.

    I am all media consumption guy and all camera person. For me there are three things only to look in smartphone display, camera nd battery. I really dont care much about loading times and speed.

    Can some1 who already owns an 11 clear those 5 questions out for me? Please.

    submitted by /u/karanm1997
    [link] [comments]

    iOS 11 update for 3D Touch

    Posted: 16 Oct 2019 08:11 PM PDT

    On the new iPhones apple removed 3D touch and replaced it with haptic touch. I personally really enjoyed 3D touch and use it several times per day. Anyway so when I got iOS 13 I noticed that my phone still registered 3D touches but now long presses would bring up this new menu that would normally pop up when I do a 3D touch. To give an example if I long press on an app it brings up the 3D touch menu thing, and the same thing happens when I do a long press when what I want it to do is make the app shake to move it around. Is there anyway I can make long presses not register the same way as 3D touches?

    submitted by /u/__Jimothy
    [link] [comments]

    Trying the Pixel 4

    Posted: 16 Oct 2019 10:15 PM PDT

    Anybody have any insight in switching over to android, more specifically the new pixel. I've had an iPhone since day 1 and I've always liked it but I'm getting a little bored with it. I use all google home things in my apartment and my girlfriend can do pretty convenient things that don't work as well with the iOS google app. I'm really looking to commit to one ecosystem as far as watch/phone/computer meaning if I stay with apple im dropping $2,500+. My real question is has someone switched over and then been like "damn I miss that, I didn't think about that.

    Edit: Thanks for all the replies! but RIP my wallet I'm guess I'm going full apple.

    submitted by /u/LGMuir
    [link] [comments]

    My Verbose iPhone 11 Pro versus Samsung S10+ Review

    Posted: 16 Oct 2019 09:25 AM PDT

    I'm a longtime iPhone user that switched to a Samsung S10+ in March this year. After using the Samsung for 6 months I couldn't wait to come back to the iPhone and iOS. Back in March, I was considering the latest iPhone X or Samsung. It came down to price as Samsung gave me way more trade-in money for my iPhone than Apple would (Apple could seriously be a little more generous with their trade-in values). Samsung threw in free Galaxy Buds and a huge discount on the Galaxy Watch, so I switched.

    It was a big mistake for me. I have an iPad and several Apple TVs. The rest of my immediate family are all on Apple devices and we use family sharing through iCloud where we share a family Calendar, iCloud storage, and Apple Music. I also manage my children's Apple devices through my iTunes account, which includes app approval and screen time. Trying to disconnect me from the Apple ecosystem added an extra difficulty that lead to several frustrations with the Samsung.

    I've purchased the latest iPhone 11 Pro, and after using it for a few weeks, here is my review between the two devices, software, and ecosystems:

    Screen

    The iPhone 11 Pro screen is much more vibrant and sharper. Colors are gorgeous and blacks are super deep. The Samsung curved edge screen made it a little more difficult to read edge-to-edge. The Samsung edges were so sensitive that I constantly had false palm touches that would move the page. Even after turning the sensitivity down and turning off the edge screen options, I still had to purchase a phone case to help keep my hand off the edge of the display. I much prefer the iPhone screen.

    Cameras

    Both phones have a fantastic front and rear cameras, and I really can't pick a favorite over either one. The camera apps are both pretty on par.

    Front Facing Camera Notch vs Pill

    The front-facing camera pill on the Samsung practically evaporates from your vision. I hardly ever noticed it was there in day to day use. The only time it ever stood out to me was when an app developer decided to place the bottom border of an app header directly on the bottom border of the pill. If they would have added a few more pixels to the header, the pill would be vertically centered in the header and forgettable. But my eyes were drawn to the lack of occasional symmetry.

    The iPhone notch is always there. It's such an unusual and distracting shape. I can live with it, but I would rather have a pill or bezel like the new Google Pixel 4.

    Cables

    Why is Apple still using lightning cables? Seriously, ugh.

    Security

    Both the iPhone and Samsung S10+ have facial recognition, and Samsung has the in-screen fingerprint reader. Samsung's facial recognition is not secure enough to be used for two-factor authentication in apps, so it can only be used to unlock the phone. The Samsung fingerprint reader is nearly garbage compared to the Apple fingerprint sensor in my previous iPhone 8+. Samsung's reader requires a long firm press, and the finger needs to be positioned much more precisely. After 6 months of use, my first try successes to authenticating to an app are probably around 30%. Samsung doesn't allow you an unlimited number of fingers to register, and some people register the same finger for both finger profiles in order to make the reader more accurate.

    I use LastPass for my password manager, and it was very slow and prone to failure on Samsung. I have a banking app that is practically bi-polar on Samsung. Sometimes it would know to invoke two-factor authentication and other times it wouldn't. When Lastpass would launch it would need my fingerprint, which failed 2 out 3 times, and then return to the log-in screen for the app without always populating the password on success, so I had to start the whole process over.

    iOS and iPhone facial recognition has been flawless for me. Lastpass integration is buttery smooth. I have yet to have it fail to for any of my apps, including the same apps that habitually failed on Samsung.

    Apps

    The Cross-platform apps I use are always a little higher quality and include better functionality on iOS. I have several financial apps and they display flawlessly in iOS. Table data is always neat with correct padding, and fonts are consistent throughout the application. In Android, those same apps tend to lose padding in tables, so the text has no separation to table borders. Some text breaks out of frames, overlap images, and fonts can tend to fall back to Times New Roman in the strangest places. I find that the Android app functionality is typically a few iterations behind the Apple version. For example, the Duo Lingo App for iOS has more rewards and functionality than Androids. A lot of my financial apps have more polished interfaces and other options. I have not found a single cross-platform app that works better on Android.

    Samsung apps and ecosystem

    In hindsight, I should have purchased a Google Pixel over the Samsung, since I prefer the vanilla Google experience. I disliked the requirement for registering for a Samsung account that has access to all my data and image backups. Trying to switch out of the Samsung Mail, Phone, SMS, Image Gallery, etc. apps to the Google equivalents was a pain. The image gallery app was especially annoying as the Samsung Camera app would always save images to both Google Photos and the Samsung Gallery app. And then the phone would display different photos to attach to apps depending on where the source app decided to pull the photos from. There was an option to choose which default photo app should be used, but the phone never remembered my response (even when I selected 'Always use this app') and would ask every time.

    Samsung and Google both have their own App stores and services, which is necessary to get Samsung Watch faces and other watch apps. Because of the two competing ecosystems on a single device, it felt like the phone was always in competition with itself. It was tricky to get the Samsung Watch to use Google apps by default. Device notification and handoff were not as seamless between the two devices as Apple's iOS is with WatchOS. Bixby is first and foremost an advertising platform, and many of Bixby's features can't be disabled. The Bixby widget tray always had an advertisement that took up the top 1/3 of the display. Google Assistant is far superior and was my preferred choice for the voice assistant, but I would still accidentally invoke Bixby from time to time.

    On my iPhone, I use a mix of Apple and Google apps, but those apps coexist much more seamlessly on iPhone than Samsung and Google.

    Control Center

    I very much prefer Samsung's Control Center over iOS. Each function is laid out nicely on a grid and properly labeled. The buttons are either a toggle press or will open another set of options with the same push. In IOS, I don't like the random jumbled layout of icons that have no labels. All the buttons are toggles, and you must guess which one has a long press for more options.

    Apple CarPlay

    Android Auto with Google Maps is still superior to Apple CarPlay. In the latest Apple release, CarPlay doesn't use my vehicle's full screen to display the application. Instead of using all my 7" widescreen, I get a 5" square in the middle with black bars on the left and right. This is the same for my wife's vehicle by a completely different manufacturer. I feel like I got a 4:3 display downgrade. The new CarPlay interface is a little more confusing to switch between the views, but it seemed ok once I got used to it. But I really want to see an update that will return to a full-screen display.

    SMS Messaging

    Messaging is nearly the same on each device, but I really like the Android's ability to in-line reply to a chat notification without leaving the application I am on. That's a nice utility that I already miss.

    HomeKit

    iOS 13 and shortcuts are opening up some amazing things with HomeKit, and Siri is becoming a much better voice assistant. In fact, I haven't yet come across any issue that made we want to switch back to Google assistant. I do wish I could add an "ok, shush" phrase to Siri when I ask a question and the answer is painfully long. HomeKit/Siri would also be a little more natural if I could assign devices to myself, so I could say phrases like "turn on my reading light" and Siri will know which light I'm referring to. As of right now I have to refer to myself in the third person, "turn on the PM_me_your_Lego reading light.'

    Wallet

    I never found a good Samsung equivalent to Apple Wallet. Especially for virtual tickets. Instead, I just took screenshots of tickets and pulled them out Google photos when I needed them. Apple Wallet is very convenient and useful.

    Calendar & Mail

    I have four email addresses. I want to keep contacts, emails, and calendar items separated and choose which features I'll sync from each account to the phone. Apple provides the simplest way to do this to my liking. Google took a few tries to get just right, but I still couldn't prevent Google from sometimes sending multiple notifications for the same event.

    Even though everyone in my family has a Gmail account, I couldn't get everyone to consistently use the correct shared calendar. When you have a busy household with two teens, its really easy to let an event or meeting get away from you. When we were all on iPhone we never lost track of the shared calendar. But we couldn't seem to always be on the same page when we tried to sync a google calendar cross-platform. I know its possible, but it does take some effort. Whereas our Apple Family Calendar just works.

    Customization

    Apple doesn't provide anywhere near the customization like Android. If the vanilla interface isn't your liking, Android has you covered all day long. This includes easy side loading of apps on Android if you really want to tinker. I've played around with Adobe's Phone Gap software to create simple XHTML based apps, and they always worked flawlessly sideloaded on Android. I have never been able to successfully launch the iOS equivalent. Apple really needs to extend its walled garden to provide some kind of sandbox for amateur app developers to quickly piece together a native app without having to schlep through Apple's developer app certification hell.

    Hearing Aids

    So this is going to be a mini-rant about Apple and Bluetooth quality in relation to hearing aids and accessibility. Apple does a terrible quality control job for ensuring fast Bluetooth connectivity to hearing aids in their software releases. Most of you don't rely on hearing aids and don't fully appreciate how amazing Bluetooth calls over hearing devices are for people who need them. And while a hiccup in Bluetooth device pairing might seem trivial to you, it makes a huge difference to the hearing impaired.

    My wife is one of those people who has monumentally benefited from Bluetooth connectivity to her hearing aids (I'll simply refer to them as her 'ears' going forward). Just imagine trying to be in an upper management position working with executives where clear communication is critical, and then Apple releases a software update that craps all over your ability to hear. And once again, Apple released iOS 13 with Bluetooth bugs specifically with hearing devices. My wife must start each phone call with "Hello, can you hold a moment, you might hear me, but I can't hear you." She pauses for a few seconds hoping the call gets transferred to her ears, and then says – "ok – go ahead." If the call doesn't auto transfer, she has to fiddle with the iPhone to manually force the call to her ears.

    Apple's fixed the latest bug in yesterday's patch, but not after leaving my wife frustrated for a few weeks. There isn't a big enough public group of release/beta testers that use hearing aids for her to determine when an update is safe for her or not. She just rolls the dice each time. It seems as though Apple has struggled with hearing-impaired Bluetooth support with every iteration of the iPhone since the iPhone 6. What happened?

    Buying Decision

    If you are a long time iPhone user thinking about a switching to a new ecosystem, I'll tell you that it is a frustrating upheaval to your daily habits. Not everything works as well out of the box as Apple devices. If you are moving to Samsung, you will immediately face important choices for which basic apps you'll want to use right away. It has quite the learning curve, and even then, the in-app experiences won't be as error free or as high quality as you are used to.

    If you are dead-set on moving to Android, you will much more prefer a Google Pixel device with vanilla Google apps and no in-device competition for redundant stores, services, and apps.

    In either case, you'll certainly find lots of little features in Android/Samsung that make for nice shortcuts or functionality, and the phones are quite useful and fun. But in an overall package, the iPhone is more friendly and consistent with far less distractions.

    Hope this was useful to someone!

    submitted by /u/PM_your_Lego
    [link] [comments]

    Any way to download all Live Photo-sequences?

    Posted: 16 Oct 2019 06:46 PM PDT

    Hi!

    Is there any legit way of downloading all Live Photo-sequences? I.e: the "video" file of all your Live-photos?

    I accidentally stumbled upon videos on my computer with Windows OS, seems like it downloaded all the video parts of some of my live photos, and I'd like to download the rest, as they were very interesting. Any way to do it directly via the iphone? Or do I have to download a third-party app of some sorts?

    submitted by /u/asaptf2
    [link] [comments]

    Early look at Facebook’s dark mode?

    Posted: 16 Oct 2019 08:45 PM PDT

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel