• Breaking News

    Wednesday, June 12, 2019

    macOS What little features about MacOS do you appreciate?

    macOS What little features about MacOS do you appreciate?


    What little features about MacOS do you appreciate?

    Posted: 11 Jun 2019 06:27 PM PDT

    For me:

    1. When you have a document open in any app, you can click and drag the document icon in the top of the window title bar and drag it anywhere to make a copy or attach it to an email.
    2. You can drag and drop files from anywhere into an Open File dialog.
    3. If a window's close button has a dot in it, that means the file hasn't been saved since changes were made.
    4. Holding option when clicking the shrink or close button will apply that action to all of the app's windows.
    5. Holding command+option while clicking an app in a dock will hide all other applications.
    6. Just how versatile folder stacks in the Dock are. I can navigate entire network drives straight from the Dock with a stack set to menu display. I also like having the Recents folder as a stack.
    7. Summarize Service. There's an old Summarize service app (I think you enable in System Preferences) that can take paragraphs of text (e.g. a news article) and reduce it down to its most important parts. It can be handy if you're having to cram study. I've benefited from it a few times.
    8. Finder's inspector pallet: select a file and hit option+command+i and you'll get a Get Info window that's dynamic. It always shows you info for whatever file you select.
    9. You can filter Spotlight search results by filetype by adding "kind:" to the query as in "kind:pdf" or "kind:image" or "kind:email".
    10. You can resize and move the Spotlight window and it will remember your placement. This means if you move it to the far upper right it basically makes it like the drop down menu Spotlight from the OSX Tiger days.
    11. Control+command+spacebar will bring up a searchable emoji pallet. It also has an option to expand into special characters to get more advanced symbols like dingbats.
    12. Automator. An easy way to create little macros without writing code. It's basically what Shortcuts are in iOS. My favorite thing to use it for is to convert text to audio files using the Mac's speech synth.
    submitted by /u/Sheridan
    [link] [comments]

    Performance improvements in next macOS?

    Posted: 12 Jun 2019 12:31 AM PDT

    I was reading this article and while I feel that macOS is a lot faster than Windows 10 for the things I do, I know for sure that Linux is most often much faster than macOS on similar hardware.

    Does the next macOS have some nice performance improvements that are known?

    submitted by /u/OldShoe
    [link] [comments]

    "What installed that?" How to find what installed which command-line tools and what would break if they're removed...

    Posted: 11 Jun 2019 08:41 AM PDT

    I'm having a hard time keeping track of the whole python mess.

    A couple weeks ago, I got instructions to install and set up a python app to test pdfs. I had a lot of trouble installing it, ended up reinstalling and uninstalling python 3 different ways in the process, but got it to open. I still couldn't set it up, though, because I had to type in some code and couldn't see the code window because of blinding cursors. I filed a bug report and made a help request and waited for some kind of reply...

    So when I finally get some help, the first question is which version I'd installed with which package manager.

    How do I find that out?

    How do I clean out the mess of bad python installations and other extra installations?

    I mostly use Homebrew and actually tried to reinstall using brew install wxpython, but I get an error. It needs to run in framework python. I deleted that.

    submitted by /u/Ananiujitha
    [link] [comments]

    Switch to App Store from standalone install of Office 365

    Posted: 12 Jun 2019 01:49 AM PDT

    Uninstall standalone and reinstall via App Store is probably the only way right? Want to do it to make updates more seamless.

    submitted by /u/Wighnut
    [link] [comments]

    macOS Mojave 10.14.6 beta 2 (18G48f) is out!

    Posted: 11 Jun 2019 09:49 PM PDT

    Overview

    The macOS 10.14.4 SDK provides support for developing apps for Macs running macOS Mojave 10.14.6. The SDK comes bundled with Xcode 10.2.1 available from the Mac App Store. For information on the compatibility requirements for Xcode 10.2.1, see Xcode 10.2.1 Release Notes.

    Security

    Resolved Issues

    The system now registers tickets stapled to installer packages that aren't scanned by Gatekeeper. As a result, newly installed kernel extensions load properly when internet access is unavailable, which can occur if a user launches installation from a local folder or an enterprise uses automated tools to deploy an installer. If you're deploying an app to macOS Mojave 10.14.5, follow the workaround listed in the Known Issues section of macOS Mojave 10.14.5 Release Notes. (50205533)

    https://developer.apple.com/documentation/macos_release_notes/macos_mojave_10_14_6_beta_release_notes

    submitted by /u/mael11
    [link] [comments]

    Safari on Mac: Do you want to allow “https://www.homedepot.com” to use up to 100 MB of storage on your Mac?

    Posted: 11 Jun 2019 04:57 PM PDT

    Automator question

    Posted: 11 Jun 2019 05:53 AM PDT

    After several years in the wilderness, I'm back to Mac.

    I'm learning about the power of creating Quick Actions. Any ideas for how to create a Quick Action to convert an MP4 or M4V to an MP3? I've searched, but haven't seen any tutorials.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/brianshrader
    [link] [comments]

    How to make bundle/app for Python script for MacOS?

    Posted: 11 Jun 2019 10:22 AM PDT

    Relatively new to programming. After trying to avoid XCode, I realized I'm not far enough along to manually organize an application directory for MacOS very competently. I started a new project in XCode, but the only options for a project are C languages and Swift.

    I've only been trying to make a double-clickable, drag-and-droppable icon to run a Python script on computers which already have Python 3 installed. I figured it would be a neat way to share small tools.

    Must I learn C-objective and code to launch a separate Python script? Are there any workable solutions I must have missed?

    Suggestions appreciated!

    submitted by /u/AlbanianNotAlbino
    [link] [comments]

    How to Restore ‘My Computer’ in Finder

    Posted: 11 Jun 2019 03:46 PM PDT

    I deleted the 'My Computer' folder from the Finder sidebar under locations. How can I add it back?

    Mac Noob btw

    submitted by /u/TacoOSRS
    [link] [comments]

    Suggestion: External SSD USB-C vs External SSD Thunderbolt 3 vs Internal Fusion

    Posted: 11 Jun 2019 05:21 AM PDT

    Hi guys!

    Yesterday I post a question here about installing macOS in external USB-C driver. There was a bug that would make boot process last more than 1 min. This bug was fixed and this should not be a problem at all!

    Now, I have another question. I have macOS installed in a Fusion driver (1 TB). Sometimes the computer got slow. Hence, I though to buy an external SSD to install the macOS on it. However, after some researching, I started to think if this will actually improve my experience.

    For example, when a software is in flash memory of Fusion, it will open blazing fast. Way faster than the external USB-C SSD. However, if it is not, then the external SSD will be faster. My question is: people how are already using macOS on external SSD USB-C, does it feel faster than in Fusion?

    The obvious solution would be buying an external SSD Thunderbolt 3 like Dell's, which can reach 2800 MB/s.

    submitted by /u/Ronis_BR
    [link] [comments]

    [question] anyone else wants to just fuck the shit outta their 2015 Retina MacBook Pros?

    Posted: 11 Jun 2019 08:48 PM PDT

    I mean it's so slick and goddman sexy I just wanna DOUSE in my hot sticky JIZZ.

    am I the only one?

    submitted by /u/Ass_to_grass_son
    [link] [comments]

    Audio solution help (Samsung) with Imac and Epson Projector

    Posted: 11 Jun 2019 07:06 AM PDT

    Hi reddit,

    Need some help with choosing an audio solution for my home theater. Right now i have an Epson Eh-tw5650 projector, which is connected to an late 2012 Imac through HDMI. I have 2.0 Speakers connected to the Imac through the mini jack, but need to relocate them every time i want to watch cinema on the big screen. So i am right now looking for a permanent solution to mount to the wall to watch movies (no music, the speakers agre great for it).

    A was looking at the Samsung HW-N550 3.1 soundbar as a solution under the screen with possible adding the rear speakers for an 5.1 upgrade. It does not take a lot of space and looks good under the screen. I have a 25 m2 small room.

    Will it be possible to play 5.1 surround sound with that through HDMI? How do i connect it better? Is optical an option? I mostly play movies with VLC and was thinking about installing bootcamp Windows 10 for the netflix app with surround sound.

    Any recomendations? Is 3.1 or 5.1 bluetooth possible? Better solutions (i like soundbars cause you dont have cable spagetti everywhere ). Any problems connecting Samsung Soundbars with Imacs? I was looking to upgrade my Imac to a new one this or next summer.

    Thanks.

    submitted by /u/Mcmakar
    [link] [comments]

    Catalina beta issues with Finder

    Posted: 11 Jun 2019 03:27 PM PDT

    Have been experiencing different issues (even after restarting) with Finder since upgrading to Catalina beta.

    -Unable to open Documents folder at first (but now it works).

    -Chrome freezes if I download something (because it must go to Downloads folder in Finder).

    -Chrome freezes if I click the "upload" button from any site (because it must open Finder).

    Anyone else experience these? Persists even after I restart the computer.

    submitted by /u/danhoang1
    [link] [comments]

    What can these graphics even do?

    Posted: 11 Jun 2019 09:12 AM PDT

    Hello MacOS community, I just recently purchased a 2017 Macbook Pro, 15 inch with touchbar and I am curious what types of games these graphics can reasonably play. 16 GB Ram, 256 GB, 2.8 GHz i7 processor.

    This model has dual graphics processors -- a AMD Radeon Pro 555 with 2 GB of dedicated GDDR5 SDRAM and an Intel HD Graphics 630 graphics processor that shares system memory.

    Thanks anyone who responds!

    submitted by /u/Ruskiiipapa
    [link] [comments]

    Camera not Working in Discord Bootcamp

    Posted: 11 Jun 2019 08:42 AM PDT

    My 2018 macbook pro is currently partitioned with bootcamp for Windows 10. The internal webcam, for an unknown reason, is not working with Discord. It does work with the camera app, and all the solutions online relate to updating drivers, but I couldn't find anything for the default webcam.

    Does anybody know where the drivers are or some other fix?

    submitted by /u/VoltaicBolt
    [link] [comments]

    [Request] macOS Catalina Reminders app for MacOS Mojave?

    Posted: 11 Jun 2019 06:40 AM PDT

    Currently running macOS Mojave, but would really like to use the new design of the Reminders app from Catalina. Would it be possible for someone to upload the .app file from the Catalina beta for me to install on Mojave?

    submitted by /u/nuttty
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel