• Breaking News

    Wednesday, January 2, 2019

    Apple Daily Tech Support Thread - [January 01]

    Apple Daily Tech Support Thread - [January 01]


    Daily Tech Support Thread - [January 01]

    Posted: 01 Jan 2019 07:14 AM PST

    Welcome to the daily Tech Support thread for /r/Apple.

    Have a question you need answered? Ask away! Please remember to adhere to our rules, which can be found in the sidebar. On mobile? Here is a screenshot with our rules.

    Join our Discord and IRC chat rooms for support:

    Discord

    IRC

    Note: Comments are sorted by /new for your convenience

    Here is an archive of all previous "Tech Support" threads. This is best viewed on a browser. If on mobile, type on the searchbar [title:"Daily Tech Support Thread" author:"AutoModerator"] (without the brackets, and including the quotation marks around the title and author.)

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Former Apple software engineer creates environmentally-lit user interface

    Posted: 01 Jan 2019 04:37 PM PST

    Apple Won 43 Patents Today Covering Multiplayer Gaming, Ride Hailing for Maps, Home Automation with Siri, Glass Metal & more

    Posted: 01 Jan 2019 09:06 AM PST

    iPads and iPhone XRs Lead New Device Adoption Over Christmas

    Posted: 01 Jan 2019 12:32 PM PST

    Huawei Sends New Year Wishes Using an iPhone

    Posted: 01 Jan 2019 07:23 PM PST

    Was I the only one who didn’t realize the iPhone flashlight has different levels of brightness?

    Posted: 01 Jan 2019 04:40 PM PST

    I went to turn on my flashlight, and by holding the button in the control center I realized you can set the brightness

    Edit: also you can hold the brightness bar to turn on night shift

    submitted by /u/lgoldfein21
    [link] [comments]

    XS Max Sharp Edges

    Posted: 01 Jan 2019 10:39 PM PST

    Does anyone else have sharp edges on their XS Max where the screen, plastic and stainless steel band meet?

    I talked to an Apple employee in the Apple Store and was told the sharp edges are within manufacturing tolerances. Some of the display units had smooth edges, but some had the sharp edges as well.

    submitted by /u/OzJack
    [link] [comments]

    Looks like Spotlight's operator associativity in iOS and macOS is borked

    Posted: 01 Jan 2019 09:06 AM PST

    In iOS or macOS, try using Spotlight to calculate 2 ^ 2 ^ 3. It will give the answer 64. This is incorrect; exponentiation is a right-associative operator so the answer should be 256.

    It looks like Spotlight doesn't understand the associativity of exponentiation. It's evaluating it as (2^2)^3 rather than the standard 2^(2^3).

    A little disappointing for Apple! I wonder whether this has ever caused a serious miscalculation in the past.

    submitted by /u/amicin
    [link] [comments]

    LPT: How to edit album names in the Photos app on iOS

    Posted: 01 Jan 2019 12:56 PM PST

    Hey r/Apple. When was the last time you needed to change the name of an album in the Photos app on iOS? If you're like me, the answer is probably 'never', until this morning when I couldn't — for the life of me — figure it out. Anyway, I finally did, so I thought I'd share the process here since the discoverability of this is very poor.

    How to Change a Photos Album Name on iOS

    1. In the main Albums view, tap on 'See All', either for your personal albums or shared albums.
    2. Tap on 'Edit' in the top right.
    3. You'll notice the only visual change is the appearance of the red delete buttons on your albums, but fret not. To change an album name, tap on the current name to bring up the cursor/keyboard and make your edit. Then hit 'Done'.

    Bad process aside, when you hit 'Edit', the text fields should at least change their state to indicate a change can be made. Maybe something like this?

    Apple has struggled with discoverability of iOS features that are more obscure, but something simple like this should be downright obvious. I mean, how can you not change the album name after opening the album itself, for instance? In any case, I hope this helps someone!

    Edit: fixed image link.

    submitted by /u/syrinxStarman
    [link] [comments]

    Two things I want from Apple in 2019

    Posted: 01 Jan 2019 04:03 AM PST

    1. iPhones and AirPods with USB-C
      It's really annoying that I can't charge every device with the same cable at the moment (except of the Apple Watch of course)

    2. Macs with FaceID
      It makes much sense to implement FaceID to the Macs, because more Macs come with a screen rather than a keyboard, and you always sit in front of the device when you want to unlock it.

    I'm pretty happy with the rest of what Apple is doing, except of the higher pricing. Maybe a more structural stable iPad, and please Apple, keep 3D Touch.

    submitted by /u/doncan94
    [link] [comments]

    Why can my Macbook Air not share Wireless passwords with my iPhone?

    Posted: 01 Jan 2019 10:51 AM PST

    My Apple devices used to share Wifi passwords with each other (thanks to Keychain as far as I'm aware), yet my Macbook Air (macOS Mojave 10.14.2) can't do so with my iPhone 7 plus (iOS 12.1.2). It used to be that if one Apple device of mine could access a Wireless, the rest could do, too. But now I have to manually provide passwords. Could anyone please let me know if this annoying issue can be fixed? Thanks

    submitted by /u/karaoke0_0
    [link] [comments]

    Switching Camera in Safari

    Posted: 02 Jan 2019 01:30 AM PST

    Is there a way to switch the camera on iOS from the front facing camera to the rear one when using Chrome?

    submitted by /u/lepslair
    [link] [comments]

    What's going on with the compass app?

    Posted: 01 Jan 2019 06:23 AM PST

    4 different phones and 4 different readings.

    https://imgur.com/a/CJqerAB

    3 were similar, the XS Max was miles off though.

    submitted by /u/gee_four
    [link] [comments]

    iphone XS Max locked

    Posted: 02 Jan 2019 01:11 AM PST

    I got this XS Max from Canada. It was purchased from Bell Store and is not on contract with them. It is supposed to be unlocked all over the world but when I am trying to use it in India it says "Sim not supported" . I contacted apple help and they told me that it has been locked by the carrier and after contacting Bell I came to know that since it was brought out of the country without letting them know, it has been automatically country locked. I contacted those roadside experts here but they said the permanent unlock can't be done since it is not available on the internet but temporary unlock can be done which will again lock the phone if it is reset. It hurts to but such an expensive phone and not being able to use it. Can anyone help?

    submitted by /u/arpitsinghchaudhary
    [link] [comments]

    Former employee, employment verification?

    Posted: 01 Jan 2019 12:32 PM PST

    Hello! Does anyone know how a former employee would get some type of employment verification from Apple?

    Unfortunately I didn't keep my W2's and my pay stubs went to my Apple email, which I no longer have access to.

    Any help would be appreciated! My employer is asking for it to expedite the background check process.

    submitted by /u/meowqueen
    [link] [comments]

    What adblocker are you using ?

    Posted: 01 Jan 2019 04:01 AM PST

    Recently started using iOS with my first experienced being the 6th generation iPad So far AdGuard has been working well for me,blocking ads on site like KissAsian has never been easier

    submitted by /u/Shikisenya
    [link] [comments]

    Google Has Lawsuit in Illinois Over Facial Recognition Scanning in Google Photos Dismissed

    Posted: 02 Jan 2019 12:08 AM PST

    XR vs. XS Max

    Posted: 01 Jan 2019 11:41 PM PST

    So I know the difference in oled and camera and HDR, ram and build quality.

    So using it as a media device, is the HDR really noticeable?

    Is the extra screen estate really noticeable?

    Then is it worth the $300 plus difference?

    submitted by /u/ShadowfoxRZ_046
    [link] [comments]

    Occasional mac user here - any tips for using more efficiently?

    Posted: 01 Jan 2019 11:03 AM PST

    Hey there,

    I mostly work on Linux and Windows PCs, but I've been working with a few macs recently and sort of like it. I'm finding it hard to use efficiently, though - I'm a keyboard-shortcut-using sort of guy and a lot of the OS X interface doesn't match up to the common interactions and windowing paradigms I'm used to, meaning I'm sort of awkward and slow on the system.

    So I'm curious - do any of you have any tips for using OS X more efficiently, for those used to other platforms like myself? Stuff like cmd+space that makes it a little easier to get around.

    submitted by /u/poofyrear
    [link] [comments]

    iTunes not showing play count for some songs

    Posted: 01 Jan 2019 01:38 PM PST

    Hi guys, Today, it was time for my yearly check to see what I listened to last year.

    However when I hooked my iPod to my computer, some of the songs are showing zero play activity, even though I know for a fact they got played. Lots.

    It's very strange because most of the songs show a play, but the ones that I thought would be most played aren't showing anything.

    Anyone know how to fix???

    submitted by /u/Beezer35
    [link] [comments]

    Airport time capsule

    Posted: 01 Jan 2019 09:41 PM PST

    So I currently have my airport time capsule plugged into my router and banking off of that.

    Question is if I move the airport time capsule into the comp room ( as the router is else where) and then turn the capsule into a extender

    1. Will it still be used as a back up
    2. If I plug another computer hard wire via Ethernet ( because WiFi doesn't work on it now )

    Will this effect anything

    submitted by /u/ando772
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel