• Breaking News

    Saturday, August 4, 2018

    macOS Full Disk Encryption separate from user account

    macOS Full Disk Encryption separate from user account


    Full Disk Encryption separate from user account

    Posted: 03 Aug 2018 06:43 PM PDT

    If anyone is interested: For a long time I've always used a high entropy, very long, password for full disk encryption that's different from the somewhat shorter password I use on my account (which is more vulnerable to shoulder surfing, more likely to be crackable by the three letter agencies, etc.) Due to the change to APFS in High Sierra, the techniques I used in the past to have a separate password for FDE no longer work.

    I just installed a new machine, and what worked this time was to install as normal, and even enable FileVault at installation time. Once installed, you need to find your account's UUID by running:

    diskutil apfs listUsers disk1s1 

    Or equivalently:

    sudo fdesetup list 

    The UUID will be something like "12345678-90AB-CDEF-1234-567890ABCDEF". You can then run, substituting the appropriate UUID:

    diskutil apfs changePassphrase disk1s1 -user 12345678-90AB-CDEF-1234-567890ABCDEF 

    You'll be prompted for your old password (the account password) and the new password (the super long high entropy password you'd like to be required at bootup.)

    Once these steps are completed, you'll be prompted for the long password at bootup, and then the short password to actually login (and whenever you run sudo, etc.)

    I suspect if you change your account password (or run diskutil apfs updatePreboot) you'll need to repeat the process, but other than that it seems to work fine!

    submitted by /u/hornraven
    [link] [comments]

    Help: iMessage takes roughly 1m to launch

    Posted: 03 Aug 2018 07:56 PM PDT

    I used to be able to launch iMessage in just a second, but the past few days it's taken around 40-60s to launch. Sometimes I don't even see messages that were sent to me, I can only see them on my phone. Please help.

    submitted by /u/jdk_0033
    [link] [comments]

    Is there any Safari extensions that can run userscripts on macOS Mojave?

    Posted: 03 Aug 2018 09:43 PM PDT

    Ever since Mojave blocked extensions not installed through the store I haven't been able to find any way to run my on JS on a page.

    Any ideas?

    submitted by /u/willrb
    [link] [comments]

    Just 1 Messages thread won't sync from phone

    Posted: 03 Aug 2018 10:03 AM PDT

    A couple weeks ago I got a new contact and since then, continued to correspond with them on my iPhone SE running iOS 11.4.1. I also continue to receive other messages, both SMS green ones and Messages blue ones. The new person also has a contact I created in the Contacts app.

    As has been the case for a year or more, all contacts' Messages also sync up to my Macs, and to my iPad Pro. (Note the iPad Pro runs the iOS 12 beta.) But this one new contact's blue Messages remain stubbornly on my iPhone only.

    Messages in iCloud is on. Searching for this symptom on the internet doesn't get me anything about a single contact's messages not appearing on more than one device.

    Anyone have an idea on what's causing it, or how to fix it?

    submitted by /u/NormanKnight
    [link] [comments]

    Using High Sierra on 2015 MBP, should I encrypt the SSD?

    Posted: 03 Aug 2018 04:27 PM PDT

    Messages Notifications - Do not disturb during time periods

    Posted: 03 Aug 2018 05:18 AM PDT

    This there a way to get more granular on MacOS notifications. I know I can turn off all notifications for certain time periods but I would like to just control the Messages app notifications.

    submitted by /u/rajdixon
    [link] [comments]

    macOS Mojave has killed my Mac ��

    Posted: 03 Aug 2018 01:57 PM PDT

    So I have been using Mojave since the release of the first beta. My iMac is brand new in April, and cost over £2,000. Today it appears my fusion hard drive has died, already.

    submitted by /u/loneshade2016
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel